Full scan with AVG Free Anti Virus

Woodlane 15:03 20 Nov 07

Since upgrading my AVG Free Anti Virus software I find that a full scan, which used to complete in something over an hour is now incredibly slow. After about two hours only 400 or so items have been scanned, and this means that a full scan would take several days. As a result it isn't being done as suggested. Why would this be and what, if anything, can I do about it?

Pamy 15:13 20 Nov 07

Obviously a problem, best to remove and download and reinstall

keef66 15:42 20 Nov 07

If nothing else has changed, I'd do as Pamy suggests and start again from scratch. Download the latest version, disconnect from the internet, uninstall your current AVG, run CrapCleaner just in case, then install the freshly downloaded version.

My only experience of a slow virus scan was when it was trying to scan the backups on the external HDD which I'd mistakenly plugged into a usb 1.2 port. That did take a while.

Woodlane 13:41 21 Nov 07

I have done as suggested and removed and reinstalled. After 4 hours just less than 1000 items have been scanned, so it is still far too slow. It was not like this before I got the latest upgrade.

birdface 16:21 21 Nov 07

try this speed test.click here let us know what your download speed is.

birdface 16:23 21 Nov 07

Or go into safe mode and try it there.

griffon56 16:48 21 Nov 07

Hi Woodlane,

Seems excessive. The latest version of AVG takes about 1 hour 40 to scan my machine and it looks at about 145,000 objects contained in 26GB of data.

Perhaps this will give you some yardstick of comparison to see if yours is proportional or way over the top.

Woodlane 17:08 21 Nov 07

Yes it certainly is excessive. Your results are in line with what I had before. My download speed at present is 576kb but is supposed to go up to 2mb when I change ISP, which is another story, and ongoing. But would that make a difference to a scan of this sort?

Totally-braindead 17:17 21 Nov 07

What difference would download speed make to the time AVG takes to scan a PC? Sorry I don't follow this.

Woodlane 17:33 21 Nov 07

Sorry. I didn't express myself well enough. What I meant was that I had always achieved a satisfactory result before with my existing connection speed so why has it changed so drastically and would an increase in speed necessarily bring about an improvement?
If it would then I hope that when things change (hopefully soon) the problem will go away. The present position after nearly 8 hours is that almost 6000 items have been looked at and it is running quicker than it was.

Woodlane 17:33 21 Nov 07

Sorry. I didn't express myself well enough. What I meant was that I had always achieved a satisfactory result before with my existing connection speed so why has it changed so drastically and would an increase in speed necessarily bring about an improvement?
If it would then I hope that when things change (hopefully soon) the problem will go away. The present position after nearly 8 hours is that almost 6000 items have been looked at and it is running quicker than it was.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…