Full hardrive

hiwatt 10:30 31 May 07

Morning folks,my brother asked me to look at his computer because it was so slow.It turns out the hardrive is full and it's VERY slow.He's no antispyware so there's probably lots of nasties on it.The thing is there's no space for me to download any antispyware to give it a clean out.Would it be ok for me to tick the "compress this drive to save disc space" box?P.s,I managed to run ccleaner.Any help much appreciated.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:32 31 May 07

surely you can delete a few programmes to regain some space?

G

johnnyrocker 10:34 31 May 07

why not try disk clean up from system tools?

johnny.

hiwatt 10:39 31 May 07

I'm not sure what programs he uses and doesn't use,I'll have to get him to do that though.It's only a 40 gb hardrive.

Strawballs 10:46 31 May 07

He really needs to let you make some space because without 15% of space you can't even defrag so combined with that and the nasties you suspect then it will very slow.

The other thing that you could do is add another HDD as a slave then you can transfer to the new one what he wants to keep then do a clean install of windows.

click here

hiwatt 11:02 31 May 07

He just uses the computer for the internet and music so he wouldn't buy another hardive and also he hasn't got a windows xp disc do do a clean install he bought the computer from a friend.What I wanted to know is if I could initially compress the drive to free up some space without causing any problems?Thanks.

ventanas 11:12 31 May 07

Yes, you could try it, but what if it goes wrong, as is quite possible. How will you restore the operating system without a cd? Also why didn't the "friend" hand over the disc for the installed operating system when sold? This is contrary to the license agreement.

hiwatt 11:30 31 May 07

I don't know why his pal never gave him the disc.Anyway is it possible that if I just compress the disc that something could go wrong?If that is the case I'd rather not do it and just remove some programs instead.Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…