Full Hard Drive - Why?

taz_ta12 16:07 18 Dec 03

My PC is around 2 years old and has a 53GB drive. This is now showing 50Gb used space.
I run a fairly clean machine with only Money, Office, MacAfee protection, Photoshop and 1 game as large applications. Through Explore I cannot find any unusally large folders. Where has all my memory gone? Could it be that my deleted files are not being over written or is a virus involved somewhere?? Help required fast as I keep crashing and I'm sure its the lack of space to blame.

christmascracker 16:12 18 Dec 03

This program might be of some help

click here

byfordr 16:15 18 Dec 03

You don't mention what operating system you use...

Have you tried Disk Cleanup...normally located under My Computer (Hard drive) right click, properties. Its under the general tab - Disk Cleanup.Under tools is defragmentation option.

Does MacAfee protect files from deletion? I use Norton which does.

Belatucadrus 16:28 18 Dec 03

click here for Temp cleaner, a good tool for digging out old rubbish.

taz_ta12 15:48 22 Dec 03

Cheers guys. Sorry for taking so long to answer but I have been away for the w/e and am just passing through on my way elsewhere........Christmas duties.

I will certainly try your tips when I get more stabilised.

My operating system is XP. Yes I have done a disk clean and after removing all my major applications freed up 12% to do a defrag. The defrag report listed lots of file sized 768MB (around 25!!) some were labelled DUMP and some were .CHK files. Could this be the problem?
Merry Cristmas thanks for your time.

Taff36 15:54 22 Dec 03

.CHK files are created by scandisk - in my experience they can be deleted without any qualms. If you`ve got a few of those I`d get rid!

Merry Christmas!

alcudia 16:07 22 Dec 03

I'd certainly get rid, you've got about 20Gb there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…