full c drive

ColinScowenUK 20:21 26 Mar 07

my c drive is really full, although I have just gone through and removed everything I don't actually need.

I have found that when I look in my windows folder, there are lots of folders, beginning with a $ sign, usually named ntuninstall.

Are these actually taking up space, do I need them?

Confused and out of date, Colin.

Totally-braindead 20:27 26 Mar 07

Download and run Ccleaner and see how much it can free up click here

ColinScowenUK 20:47 26 Mar 07

no real difference there, a few meg. I still have only 6 meg from a 30meg drive.

Totally-braindead 20:53 26 Mar 07

Either buy a second hard drive or an external hard drive or delete some of the programs.

VoG II 21:10 26 Mar 07
  Z1100 21:52 26 Mar 07

do that and look at all the temp folders and files you have and delete them.

Hanx!
K.

pj123 18:10 28 Mar 07

I'm sure you don't mean 6mg from a 30mg drive???

wee eddie 18:18 28 Mar 07

And then re-enable it.

That should give you some spare space.

ColinScowenUK 20:15 28 Mar 07

VoG, this is working, now have 12 G from a 30 G hard drive.

pj123, DOH! that's probably why I am posting as a beginner. Oh well. Back to playing with my calculator.

Z1100, very few, but thanks for the help.

Indeed, thanks all for the help.

Jackcoms 20:22 28 Mar 07

Nobody has actually answered your original question:

"I have found that when I look in my windows folder, there are lots of folders, beginning with a $ sign, usually named ntuninstall.

Are these actually taking up space, do I need them?"

Yes, they are taking up space and, no, you don't need them. They are uninstallers for MS Hotfixes and, as there is absolutely no sound reason to uninstall MS Hotfixes, get rid of the uninstallers.

Run CCleaner again and make sure that, under Windows/Advanced, Hotfix Uninstallers is ticked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…