Fujitsu Siemens Amilo pro V2010

Strathardle 13:16 18 Jan 07

Hi. The laptop starts to load windows XP; within 6 seconds a text laden blue screen flashes on/off (which I eventually managed to capture with my camera). The process continues ad infinitum as if I've just switched the laptop on each time. The start of the screen wording is "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer................. Unmountable_boot_volume".....etc etc. An intermediate screen invites me to boot up in safe mode but that makes no difference. I would be grateful for help on this please. Is this a HDD problem and crucially, can I retrieve data stored on the disc?
Many thanks.

ed-0 13:50 18 Jan 07

The first thing to do is to get yourself an external 2.5" caddy, like click here

You could then plug the caddy into a separate computer and retrieve the data.

Once you have your important data, you can assess the problem.

If the laptop is less than 1 year old,put the hard drive back in and return the computer get it fixed.

If it is over 1 year and you have no warranty. Then you will have to assess the condition of the hard drive. It maybe just a problem with the MBR, in which case a reinstall from the recovery disk may put it back to normal

It could be that the hard disk has given up the ghost and died.

or

it could be just the connections on the end of the hard drive. In which case, re-inserting the hard drive may cure the problem.

Strathardle 14:09 18 Jan 07

Thank you for your prompt feed back. I will purchase the caddy as you suggested and will take it from there.

Taff™ 10:59 19 Jan 07

You should be able to get into safe mode before Windows XP launches. Start your computer and as soon as the Fujitsu flash screen comes up press F8 every second or so. A screen may come up where you need to press F8 again. Once in safe mode you should be able to diagnose the problem.

ed-0 11:02 19 Jan 07

Strathardle said in the opening post.

" An intermediate screen invites me to boot up in safe mode but that makes no difference. "

So safe mode has been tried:-(

Strathardle 06:23 13 Feb 07

I should have come back to you earlier on this, but I eventually resolved the problem by borrowing a recovery disc from a friend. After performing a "scandisc" corrupted sectors were identified which were subsequently repaired. That did the trick. Many thanks for your help on this problem. Very much appreciated.

Taff™ 07:23 13 Feb 07

I don`t know how old the Laptop is but keep an eye on the hard disc - I think you`ve had the Gypsy`s Warning!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…