Fujitsu Siemens AMILO D7820 - Overheating?

pukka7773 20:33 05 Aug 04

Hello, can anyone help, I seem to have a common fault on these systems. My system seem to switch itself off whenever it feels! Usually when it gets hot. I have checked for viruses etc and have checked to see if the fan is working and all is ok. On the advice of a very helpful person last time I was on I have installed Speedfan which basically informs me that when the keyboard is in my laptop it runs at a maximum of 46 degrees before switching off, where as if I take the keyboard out it cooks at about 59 degrees warming the room well in this bleak English summer!

Has anyone any ideas? As PC World and Fujitsu aren't too helpful!

Gongoozler 22:05 05 Aug 04

Hi pukka7773. I have no experience of this machine, but I'll share a few thoughts on the problem. You have installed a software application, which I guess is monitoring the computer temperature. If the temperature you are monitoring is that of the processor, then 46 degrees is not excessively high, but 59 could be a problem.

Laptop computers usually (I think) use the baseplate to dissipate the heat, and some do this more efficiently than others. If your computer is overheating at high ambient temperatures, ten ensuring a free flow of air over the base, or standing it on a surface that is good at conducting the heat away, could help the situation.

If your laptop is within its warranty period, then I think the behaviour you describe makes it unfit for the purpose for which it was sold, and therefore PC World may not be being helpful, but they are responsible, so don't take any nonsense from them.

pukka7773 07:39 06 Aug 04

Unforunately this problem has been going on for months now and despite going back to be repaired it is still happening. A bios upgrade helped for a short while (Thanks to TomJerry and others who helped me do that) The new bios had all sorts of temperature controlling systems incorporated so it appears that Fujitsu know of the fault. Despite being told by PC World that the work was undertaken during warranty and if not solved they would correct any problems out of warranty due to the fact it was an on going problem when it came to the crunch they didn't want to know, typical PC World!

Gongoozler 18:10 06 Aug 04

Hi pukka7773. I'm no expert on consumer law, but I would expect that if PC World attempted to rectify your computer problem within the warranty period, and failed, they have accepted that the computer was not of the expected quality and you therefore are in your rights to demand that they rectify the problem or replace the computer. I think that if you raise this enquiry via the Consumerwatch forum you will get a very sympathetic audience and possibly some expert advice.

Dorsai 18:35 06 Aug 04

I too am not a law expert, but reinforce Gongoozler's post.

For cars, depending on individual situation etc. car makers (that i have worked for) will accept liability for a problem shortly after warranty ends, if the owner can prove the fault existed, (and had failed to be rectified by dealer, during the warranty period) before the warranty ended. Not sure if this is just done as a 'gesture of good will' or coz they have to legally, though. No doubt there is some legal wizz who knows the true story.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…