ftp with router help please

daisy2bell 20:08 20 Mar 11

Looking for some help please. I need to upload / update my website, and this is done via ftp.
I used to do this with a bt voyager modem, but it's now broken.

I am trying to ftp with a router, but it does not work. I understand that I have to open port 21, but

despite trying to follow instructions from the netgear site and also info from google searches, I just

cannot get it to work. I need someone to talk me through it in very simple terms so I can understand

what I should be doing.

Win 7 premium 64 bit
Netgear DG834G v3 54Mbps Wireless ADSL

Thanks

Taff™ 20:26 20 Mar 11

What ftp program / method are you using?

Shark boy 20:31 20 Mar 11

You'll need to enable the FTP uploading port (21) in the router's firewall before the server will be able to accept any incoming or outgoing connections. As I don't know how Netgear works, I can't give step by step instructions, but it should be somewhere under the firewall settings. Set it to Allow All Outbound Connections (or something like that).

Hope this helps

Will

daisy2bell 22:17 20 Mar 11

Thanks for the replys

Taff™
WS_FTP LE

Shark boy
Yes, I gather that, but being a relative novice I need someone to talk me through it.

woodchip 22:31 20 Mar 11

In router Settings it should have boxes to fill in the FTP server info in Firewall settings on Allow.

you need to first get into setup of router using your browser. this needs to be connected with Ethernet cable, not wireless

Taff™ 07:28 21 Mar 11

Filezilla has always worked for me without going through the routine of opening ports. Worth a try? click here

daisy2bell 17:52 21 Mar 11

It turned out that I had correctly inputed all the information. I phoned up my web host, it turned out that when they (the firm) was sold on again they changed all the passwords, but hadn't informed everyone.

It's working now. Thanks for your help. I will now tick as resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…