FTP from another ISP

Newuser1978 10:10 05 Oct 05

I am now told by my ISP that I cannot upload to their ftp server unless I am connected to the internet via their service.
(I am in the uk)
I am therefore looking for a new ISP (preferably free) that allows me to do this.

I want to be able to do this for several reasons:
(a) it is useful when travelling to be able to upload photos from my digital camera to my webspace from any computer.
(b) I also want to be able to access my web space from my PC at work.
(c) I now have broadband at home from a different supplier.

Anyone now of any such (uk) ISPs

stlucia 10:20 05 Oct 05

Freenetname host my web site. A condition of their free service (no longer available, I think) is that I log on by dialling up through their number at least every 30-days or so.

However, I've found that I can upload to their ftp server using my AOL BB connection. So I only dial up direct to their server once in a while to keep my free account current.

They do a website hosting and email service for £20 per year now. Difficult to find on their site ('cause they're flogging more expensive services), but look for "justmail".

MAJ 10:38 05 Oct 05

Who is your webspace hosted with at the moment, Newuser1978? If it's with an ISP whose account you are going to close, then you will lose access to that webspace. What you want is a host who will give you webspace that you can access from any connection, 1&1 for example click here;jsessionid=D7A6173EC8DEC850596B3F6BBB07C344.TC33a the downside is that you will have to pay for it, although it's not that expensive. There are a few free web hosts around (at least there used to be) that will allow you to use any connection to connect to their servers, Portland for example (as long as you're not using NTL or Virgin) click here although the monthly bandwidth allowance isn't overly generous. I have had an account with them for a few years now and haven't had any problems.

MAJ 10:40 05 Oct 05

That 1&1 link didn't come out correctly, try this link to the same page. click here

Newuser1978 10:46 05 Oct 05

Might try 1&1, it doesn't cost a lot by the looks of it.
Cheers, bit of a pain I'm having to do this though.

sheila.weston 11:17 05 Oct 05

My ISP is tiscali and I am able to upload to my rootsweb site via ftp.

Chegs ® 11:51 05 Oct 05

My present ISP is Tiscali,I used to be with Eclipse,and have found I can still use my webspace from them via any connection(dialup,etc)I keep meaning to shift my site from Eclipse to Tiscali,but have only got as far as d/l my sites from Eclipse(in case they ever close my access to it)ready to be uploaded to Tiscali space.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…