FSUTIL utility

tarren 14:29 29 Mar 08

Hi,

I am informed when attempting to run System Restore that "Windows has detected file system corruption on "C", you must check the disk for errors before it can be restored.
I have run chkdsk but it doesn't seem to make any difference, still cannot run System Restore.

Reading an earlier post, I tried to "run" the FSUTIL command but am informed, "The facility requires that I must have administrative privileges, since my account is as an administrator I am a bit mystified.

Any help would be gratefully received.

tarren 14:31 29 Mar 08

Hi,
Forgot to add I am running Vista Home Premium.

brundle 18:39 29 Mar 08

put cmd in the search run/box, when Command Prompt appears right click and select Run As Administrator, then try fsutil

tarren 10:24 30 Mar 08

Hi brundle,

Thank you for your response, have done as you suggested and able to run the command.

My problem is that although Windows checks the file it doesn't give the option to repair.

I have also right clicked "C" and tried to repair that way , but again it simply checks at boot up and as before no option to repair. Any further advise would be gratefully received.

One other thing I might mention is that SP1 refuses to install, I suspect that is also due to the same errors on "C".

brundle 10:54 30 Mar 08

Read this; click here

It talks about XP but the command is the same for Vista

tarren 13:59 30 Mar 08

Hi brundle,

Will give it a go later today\tomorrow will let you know how I get on. Not withstanding, my laptop is running really well.

Thanks again,

tarren.

tarren 17:53 31 Mar 08

Hi brundle,

Have tried your suggestion but still no joy I'm afraid, will just have to keep on trying, just cannot understand why it's not working for me.

Went through this routine many times.

Open a Command Prompt window ("Start > Run" type CMD and click OK). At the prompt, type FSUTIL DIRTY QUERY D: and press Enter. This queries the drive, and more than likely it will tell you that it is dirty. Next, type CHKNTFS /X D: The X tells Windows NOT to check that particular drive on the next reboot. At this time, manually reboot your computer, it should not do a Chkdsk and take you directly to Windows.

Once Windows has loaded, open a Command Prompt window again and perform a Chkdsk manually by typing CHKDSK /F /R D: This should take you through 5 stages of the scan and will unset that dirty bit. Finally, type FSUTIL DIRTY QUERY D: and Windows should confirm that the dirty bit is not set on that drive.
Obviously substituted "C" for "D"

Thanks again.

tarren.

sunny staines 01:06 01 Apr 08

click here

use ref re tsutil

tarren 13:09 02 Apr 08

Hi fellas,

Tried every which way including the FSUTIL facility and directly from Comp\"C" drive but although my disk is scanned, and has been many times, it doesn't indicate that their are any dirty files to be cleaned, and that's the puzzling part, why not?

Thanks again for your input.

tarren.

brundle 13:26 02 Apr 08

What message do you actually get?
Volume - C: is NOT Dirty ?

tarren 05:38 03 Apr 08

Hi brundle,

The message I get is ..Volume C is Dirty.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5