frozen screen

Doberman 14:13 17 Jan 04

On startup,usually before any icons are displayed my screen freezes.Pressing ctrl&alt&del bring up message " system is busy waiting for the close prog dial box to be displayed. Press any key and wait or ctrl&alt&del to restart". This has no effect and only solution is to turn off at mains. This then runs scandisk except the last time scandisk froze!Any ideas? I am running windows ME with 15gb HD and 256 ram, HD is nowhere near full. Computer was defragged recently.

Diodorus Siculus 14:46 17 Jan 04

Go to start, run, msconfig and disable the programs that are starting up and which you do not need. That way you can eliminate what may be the cause of the problem.

Best to do this in groups of two or three at a time until you find the offender.

When you find it, you will be able to decide if you need that program running at startup.

Doberman 16:03 19 Jan 04

Thanks DS. Behaving itself at the moment but will certainly try your solution if problem recurs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…