Frozen Cursor

romaneagle 20:31 31 Mar 03

I have a Pentium 166 laptop. When it boots up and (eventually) reaches the desktop screen, unless I move the cursor onto "Start", the cursor freezes in the middle of the screen. I've tried everything including using a mouse plugged in instead of the touchpad and it happens every time.

Although it seems to be working o.k.when I move onto "Start" - it is very frustrating. Can anybody help? Thanks for reading this and thanks in advance for any help forthcoming. Cheers

watchful 20:36 31 Mar 03

Flashing cursors and now frozen ones! It's all happening here tonight.

Sorry romaneagle, couldn't resist that but I'm sure someone will be able to help.

regards.

watchful 05:10 01 Apr 03

refresh^

MPete 11:43 01 Apr 03

Ya the driver files are missing. One or two at least. What you got to do is well you could try reinstalling the drivers for the mouse.
That may not work though. MyComputer>properties>device manager click on the mouse so it opens up then click on the mouse icon>driver> Driver file details.

Copy that down there should be a least 4 files listed there. Check and make sure there actually on the drive and note where on the drive they should be located. You might want to do the same thing with the keyboard too cause it's a lap top.

Ok if any files are missing then search the cd for them but you got to search for there names as text. Like search for containing "file name"

Extract and put them on the hard drive where they belong. That's usually the problem. You don't have to then reinstall the drivers there already install just incorrectly. Reboot.

That my only idea, I had the same problem and that's how I fixed it.

If that don't work then what I'd do is find logitec's mouse drivers. It's going to be hard to find them for a old mouse though but they work better then microsofts on a laptop. You want to load the mouse utilites from Logitec. It seems to fix it on some lap tops.

Oh it's one of those goofy touch pads. I'd check the drivers. Forget the mouse stuff I was thinking IBM. Like make sure all the driver files are loaded for the touch pad and keyboard.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…