FrontPage problem?

Hi all,
Whilst viewing a website, which I'd posted, on-line in Internet Explorer, I tried to click on edit to make an alteration and this message came up - The server sent a response which FrontPage could not parse. If you are trying to connect to a FrontPage server, check with the server's administrator to make sure the FrontPage server extensions are installed properly.

Can anyone tell me what this means and does it mean that I won't be able to make any alterations on-line unless the server supports FP extensions? The PC is running XP and has FP installed. The site was created using FP and as far as I know, I did not use any FP extensions. Hope someone out there can help. Many thanks J

stlucia 13:23 25 May 04

I don't believe you can edit a web page on-line. You have to edit the files off-line, and then download the revised files to your site.

Blimey, that was quick!!! Thank you for that prompt response StLucia.
I'm not so sure about that. It was something I was playing with and after clicking 'edit' on the toolbar, a window pops up asking for username and password to the FTP. When done in Word (I know, you wouldn't really want to edit the page in Word), it brings it up for you to play with. It was just that it doesn't with FP so I was just wondering. Point taken with the usual way of doing things though. That way you'd be in sync with what's posted. Thanks again for your speedy reply J

Taran 13:53 25 May 04

You can edit a web page live, in real time, online on the web server if you like, but I wouldn't if I were you.

I certainly don't recommend this practice. If you get a dropped connection midway during your page edit the whole site can come unravelled and it sometimes takes a fair bit of jiggerypokery with the web server to get things back to how they should be. I can't see the point in risking an entire site for a quick edit.

I always recommend that you edit a local copy of the web on your own computer and then upload the changes to the live site, which overwrites whatever is there with the altered documents you worked on.

Clicking the Edit button in Internet Explorer will load the page into FrontPage, or whichever editor is set as your default web editor in IE, but you can't save changes back to the web server by using this method unless you enter your username and password for the account. If you could, it would mean that anyone could come along and open up any page they like, change it then save the altered page to the web. Not a good idea at all...

There are a few ways you can go to get to where you want to be.

You could do this:

Click Start, click Run, type this into the Run dialog box:

frontpg.exe http:// your web address then click OK

Just to be sure you understand what is going on there, frontpg.exe is the program name for the FrontPage program on your PC, then you leave a space, then you type in the FULL address of your website, from the http:// through the www. then the rest of the site name.

This opens FrontPage on your computer and launches the first page of the website you gave it the address for, but with one twist, you get a pop-up prompt for the username and password to allow you to access the site.

If you give the correct username and password, FrontPage opens up in all its glory with a list of all the files and folders on the web site and the index page will be displayed by default. Any changes you make here, when you click save, will update the files on the web folder in real time. As I said above I don't recommend this method because things can go very, very wrong if you get a dropped web connection half way through a file save, but for quick fixes and tweaks quite a few people use it. I am not one of them though.

The best method is to edit the site on your PC then choose the publish option in FrontPage. This will update the web site by changing the pages on the site that you edited, but it will leave those pages you didn't touch as they are. It's the safest way to work with FrontPage, or any other web editor for that matter.

Does that help ?

stlucia 13:54 25 May 04

When you 'open' a web page you are actually downloading it onto your PC, so when you try to edit it in Word you're probably doing so off-line anyway (probably in a temporary file). Using Word, you will only see the raw html code, just as if you were editing it using Notepad.

stlucia 13:57 25 May 04

Taran has put it much more comprehensively than I could ...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…