Frontpage & IE Button

tbh72 01:28 18 Aug 03

I have noticed that when looking at some website's the EDIT button in IE grey's out. How is this achieved please?

MichelleC 11:53 18 Aug 03

If you don't mind I'll library this, as I'd like to know too. It may be to do with the hosting site's security, or system of serving like Unix with Apache which may not support an M$ FP prog. (I'm assuming you have FP set as your default editing manager).

Taran 16:16 18 Aug 03

If the site web server is IIS you can enable Content Expiration and set it to Expire Immediately.

Right click the virtual server.

Click Properties.

Select the HTTP Headers tab.

Make the necessary alteration.

I can't remember off the top of my head how to do it under Apache - it's been a while since I played with an Apache server to any great extent - so let me think on it for a while and see if I can jog my failing memory.

Taran 16:22 18 Aug 03

Web servers in general support more or less all editing software - this is a localised setting on a personal computer and has little to do with servers and how they are configured, so whether you use FP, Dreamweaver or still have Notepad set as your default editor the page currently in view should be editable.

Sometimes a program 'loses' its interaction with IE and your system forgets which editor you had set as your preference, but this would affect all pages viewed.

You can alter caching and content expiration on any web server software but the methods vary from one to another setup.

As I said, I'll try and remember how to do it on Apache, but since the symptoms are only on certain sites it has to be a server side instruction and not a localised issue regarding default editors.

tbh72 16:28 18 Aug 03

The server is apache, with FPSE's installed.

Taran 18:50 19 Aug 03

Sorry about the delay; I had to go and play with an Apache web server since I just couldn't remember the process off the top of my head. Once I was in front of it, it all came back to me.

Blame it on my age...

My apologies in advance for the length of this and it is not a step by step tutorial by any stretch of the imagination - it just glosses over the processes involved so you know the nuts and bolts of it all.

This works with Apache versions 1.2 and above, which include the necessary modules to do the following with headers. The modules include Expire and Cache-Control and a great many others, but they (the modules) need to be built into Apache and turned on (they are off by default) so you will probably need to recompile Apache to include what you need - not an option under your normal web hosting account...

You can test to see if the modules are enabled on your server (assuming you have the necessary access privileges) like this:

1. find the httpd binary

2. run this command

httpd -l;

This prints a list of the modules available on your server set-up. The modules you need are;

A: mod_expires

B: mod_headers

If they aren't in your list, you can recompile Apache to include them, assuming you have full administrative access of course.

To do this, in brief, you either uncomment the relevant lines in the Configuration file, or use the following two arguments (for Apache 1.3 and above):

Now you may use mod_expires to specify when objects should expire, either in .htaccess files, or in the server's access.conf file.

You can apply expire to a specific file type or as a default setting on the entire root web folder, and the expire may be set from access (e.g. page request from hyperlink click) or modification time.

A useful link on mod_expires with far more information than I care to go into here is click here

You use the mod_headers module to apply Cache-Control, which allows you to specify HTTP headers. More details can be found click here

The full list and descriptions of Apache Modules is click here

I'm off for a lie down before I hurt myself...

Hope this shines some light on things and does not just muddy your waters.

And yes, I already know I'm a geek - you don't need to tell me thanks.

MichelleC 08:29 20 Aug 03

You're an excellent teacher, T. Thanks.

tbh72 13:53 20 Aug 03

That is WAY over my head.....!!! I can live with the colour button in IE?!?!?

Taran 18:34 20 Aug 03

You're very welcome.

Taran 18:36 20 Aug 03

Serves you right for asking...

Best regards

Forum Editor 19:36 20 Aug 03

Before you can work with the modules outlined by Taran you'll have to edit the file: httpd.conf to make sure that the module has been loaded. The line you're looking for will read: LoadModule headers_module path/to/

Then you must include an AddModule directive such as (in your case) :- AddModule mod_expires.c

I have to be very honest here, and say that unless you are truly desperate to do this work I would leave well alone. Configuring Apache servers is not exactly a walk in the park, and there are far more interesting ways of spending an evening. Sad people like Taran and me have to do it for a living, and we might get some sort of satisfaction from it, but frankly I would rather watch a good film any day.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…