Frontpage 2K3

spikeychris 12:04 23 Jan 04

Building a site and selected a theme, uploads to net and all looks OK cept I have a white background instead of the theme.

Also have dropped a few buttons on the page, they look fine in preview but when I upload them there off-set.

Using Host accepts Frontpage extensions and using Smart FTP.

Learning as I'm going...

Chris

Chegs ® 12:11 23 Jan 04

If its the page you uploaded(link in web design?)this was white yesterday when I looked at it.Are you certain that the new page you have uploaded has actually replaced the original?

spikeychris 12:21 23 Jan 04

The page when I initially posted it contained just a few test words, I then started uploading extras, ie: started again. The page has been white all along as I cant get the theme to display at all.

Chegs ® 12:51 23 Jan 04

I have just had a quick poke in Frontpage and selected a template,which I then uploaded to my site(without doing anything else to it,so none of the hyperlinks,etc work)using SmartFTP same as you. click here I will now attempt to change the background colour,text colours and see if I can actually get the links to work.Just to see if I can reproduce your problems

Chegs ® 12:58 23 Jan 04

I forgot to add,I selected a template in Frontpage,saved it as a .txt file prior to converting it to .html file.

Taran 13:02 23 Jan 04

FrontPage often needs to publish using its own built in publishing tools to apply its themes properly.

The themes live in some obscure folders in the web root, so it isn't just a matter if FTPing the index file up there. The entire web root folder contents have to go up there and since FrontPage can do it all for you I'm not sure why you want to use a third party FTP program at all.

Certain web hosting accounts will be completely trashed if you use an FTP program to publish your FrontPage site.

You should be OK if it's on a Windows IIS hosted account but many Linux accounts with the FrontPage server extensions installed need to be reset after using FTP since the web root and subfolders have their permissions altered by FTP, affecting the FrontPage extensions.

Most web hosts advise in their documentation and support files to use FrontPage or FTP and stick to one or the other, but not to mix them.

T

Taran 13:03 23 Jan 04

What's this doing in the Helproom ?

;o)

spikeychris 13:11 23 Jan 04

Cheers Taran, started to think down them lines as well. I'll give FP FTP a whirl.

Thanks also Chegs ®, I'll be back!! guaranteed :o)

Chegs ® 13:18 23 Jan 04

Hello Taran.

I just tried altering the background and text colours,the background didn't change colour,but the text did.

Chegs ® 13:23 23 Jan 04

Then I clicked refresh after uploading it again,and its all changed colour! :-)

Taran 13:58 23 Jan 04

You've got to love that crazy thing called browser cache...

;o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant