FrontPage (2004?) vs Dreamweaver MX 2004

Sparrowhawk 14:24 21 Oct 04

Have heard both of them provide similar functions, but that code generated by Dreamweaver MX is much cleaner than code generated by FrontPage.

??

Gaz 25 17:43 21 Oct 04

Long as they produce good results, then that should be ok.

Both work fine for me.

Forum Editor 18:27 21 Oct 04

(It's FP 2003 by the way), and both of them have their strengths and weaknesses.

FrontPage 2003 has a code optimisation facility which cleans up the site code before you publish to the server.

Sparrowhawk 18:31 21 Oct 04

Thanks for feedback.

I recall I heard the 'that code generated by Dreamweaver MX is much cleaner than code generated by FrontPage' from an old anti-MS geek, colleague of mine.

He assumes it's fine to build a website using NOTEPAD for everybody.

I am ready to believe NOTEPAD will produce a 100% clean code but I do not know where to start with NOTEPAD.

woody147 00:16 22 Oct 04

here's a good start with notepad :-)

<html>
<head>
</head>
<body>

</body>
</html>

Taran 12:38 22 Oct 04

Notepad only produces 'clean' code if the person using it types it that way. I don't see any reason for you to tough it out hand coding in Notepad (unless you really want to learn that way at the start) when you can get up and runniung in short order using any one of several excellent programs like FrontPage or Dreamweaver.

Learning to hand code should be on your 'to-do' list, but not until you find your feet with one of the mainstream WYSIWYG programs.

Here are a couple of other threads that have touched upon this subject: click here click here

Sooner or later you will have to learn a bit of manual coding to tweak things and generally play around with your pages. Nothing scares off a newcomer to web design more than being told they have to hand code. If I had to hand code everything I'd have gone out of business years ago. It takes far too long by comparison to a few mninutes of FrontPaging or Dreamweaving, and I can't think that any of my clients would be grateful at the comparative rise in prices to reflect my more 'purist' methods. Just because I can hand code everything certainly doesn't mean that I shold or even want to.

FrontPage would be my overall suggestion ahead of Dreamweaver for financial reasons, general ease of use and overall capability.

T

Sparrowhawk 12:42 22 Oct 04

Thanks Taran,

No worries, I had no intention to hand-code a website from scratch...

I will go with MS then!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…