Front USB's

pickle factory 12:22 08 Sep 04

Hi folks. Just beginning my first build, I'm putting in an XP2500 and intending on an A7N8X or an A7V600 mobo (Depending on price really, I'm dead tight). My new case has 2 front USB ports, can these be connected to either/both of these boards? If so how? I've looked at the specs on Asus site but I'm unclear as to how many USB's they can deal with. Thanks in advance.

cga 12:32 08 Sep 04

I have not checked the specs for the two you mention but, normally, modern Mobos have connectors for 2 FS USB ports.

The details of how to connect are in many posts on this forum. If you have not found the links I will add them when I get home and have a little more time.

pj123 12:47 08 Sep 04

I, like cga have not checked the motherboards either but if they have USB risers I can email you an Excel chart on how to connect them. I have emailed this chart out many times and all have said it worked OK.

pickle factory 12:54 08 Sep 04

Thanks, all good advice. cga, I have since tried some different searches through the forum and found some useful info. pj123 the excel sheets would be much appreciated. Thanks. Can you access email address through forum or do you need me to post?

pickle factory 12:55 08 Sep 04

Thanks, all good advice. cga, I have since tried some different searches through the forum and found some useful info. pj123 the excel sheets would be much appreciated. Thanks. Can you access email address through forum or do you need me to post? I am pretty sure I will be going for one of the above boards.

pickle factory 12:58 08 Sep 04

pj123, How sharp am I??? Just noticed the li'l iddy biddy envelope next to my name, never looked at it before in all the times I've been on this forum. Hey ho, can't be good at everything.

cga 13:15 08 Sep 04

The only difficulty I have seen is with the connectors on some front USB ports. They normally come in 2's and, if the connector block at the back has 2 rows of 4 pins then it is not difficult. I have seen cases of 1 row of 6 or 7 pins. In this situation you really need some markings on the connector block or some documentation. The mobo end is not a problem - particularly with PJ123's EXCEL sheet (although I havn't seen it).

pj123 13:43 08 Sep 04

The A7N8X does have a USB riser (just checked a previous thread that I sent the Excel chart to) works OK.

You need to email me (via my envelope) your email address and I will email the chart back to you.

As cga points out the risers all have different layouts. But the A7N8X has two rows of pins (1 to 5 and 1 to 4) Pin 5 is not used. My excel chart will show you.

cga 13:50 08 Sep 04

Not a problem on the mobo - the only problem I have seen is on the back connectors of the front panel. As these are usually 'no-name' it can be a pig to sort out an unusual pin layout if there are no markings.

e.g. with an inline 6 pins you will know that there is 1 pwr, 1 grnd & 2 signal pairs but which is which?

dth 16:28 08 Sep 04

pj123 - Can I be cheeky and ask for a copy of
the speadsheet. I've sent a pm.

dth 22:12 08 Sep 04

received with thanks pj123

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…