Front USB not reading Flash memory drive

honeybabe 09:12 05 Oct 03

I can't get my front USB 2.0 ports to read my new SUPER FLASH USB 2.0 flash memory drive 256MB . The rear ports work fine and the front ones work fine with my D.Camera. O/S Windows XP Pro, MSI NForce K7N2 Delta-ILSR Motherboard.
One port recognises the device and assigns a drive letter but dosen't read what is on it. The other port dosen't even recognise the device. I have uninstalled the ports through Windows but no difference. Any ideas PLEASE.

DieSse 11:37 05 Oct 03

It's possible that the front case mounted ports are not wired correctly to the USB2 spec (there should be extra shielding on the cable) - and that you USB controller is sensitive to this.

The cable that go to the front ports - what do they look like?

honeybabe 12:40 05 Oct 03

Not too sure what you mean by what do the cables look like but they are thin and are coloured red - VCC, white - USB0-(1-), blue- USB0+(USB1+), black- GND, no cable connected to Key or USBOC. I hope this makes sense. There are no cable colours mentioned in the motherboard book so they could be in the wrong slots.

Jester2K II 12:44 05 Oct 03

Is the front USB panel powered by a connector to you PSU or BUS powered (ie only connected to the mobo by the data cables)

If its BUS Powered then the front ports might not have enough power to us the device.

Bazz2000 12:47 05 Oct 03

Just a thought but have you used the drive on any other port or pc? Just to rule out a problem with the actual drive. I have spent hours sometimes trying to get an upgrade to work, only to find out it was the actual hardware itself!

spuds 12:58 05 Oct 03

Recently I added some further devices to my computer via the USB connections.Some devices gave problems [scanners] others did not.Checking with the various manufacturers, it came to light that in some cases,the computer USB was not producing sufficient power.The end result, which seemed to have corrected the problem, was to install a self powered 4 port hub, and connect the 'problem' devices through that.Other devices [printers] that worked okay previously, where still connected via the direct computer USB sockets.The printers would not work correctly via the self powered USB hub, when test trialed.

honeybabe 13:00 05 Oct 03

It looks like there are only 8 very thin cables comming fron the USB ports to the motherboard into a 10 pin connector. The device works well in the rear ports

Jester2K II 13:34 05 Oct 03

Suggests not enough power.

Plug it in and then right click My Computer, Properties, Hardware, Device Manager, Univrsal Serial Bus Controllers.

Find Generic USB Hub (there maybe more than one)

Right click Generic USB Hub , Properties, Power.

It'll list the item(s) plugged in and the power avalible and in use.

What does it say???

Jester2K II 13:38 05 Oct 03

The rear ports work fine and the front ones work fine with my D.Camera

Can you just clarify that this means that the USB drive works Ok in the rear ports??

honeybabe 13:44 05 Oct 03

There are 3 USB root hubs listed not sure which is which but a couple say 2mA and the other say 0mA. How do i find out which are the front or rear ports?

Jester2K II 13:45 05 Oct 03

Any Generic USB Hub ? Not Root Hubs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…