Front Panel LED lights up on PC, but nothing else

stevied107 00:01 04 Feb 06

I have an Emachines 420 with IM845GV motherboard. When I try to switch it on, the front panel LED lights up but nothing else. There is an electrical noise when I remove and replace the lead in the power socket. The previous evening, we did have a short power cut - the PC was not on but was plugged in. There is no burning smell inside the PC anywhere and everything looks fine inside. I hope someone can give me some advice to get it going again.

Kev.Ifty 00:06 04 Feb 06

Is the monitor working? Are the fans or fan spinning?
Does the floppy disk light come on?

A little more info... :-)

stevied107 22:40 04 Feb 06

Monitor is fine
No fans spin or floppy light come on.
Only the front panel LED comes on

961 19:11 05 Feb 06

Disconnect phone line and try again

Check power plug fuse and try again

Remove modem and try again

Sounds like surge damage. Have you surge protection on power supply plugs and phone connections?

If none of this works could be damage to psu or motherboard

Check psu first

stevied107 13:42 08 Feb 06

Tried with no telephone line, new power lead, without modem, with new psu - but still only front panel LED light up, no power to fans.
I did not have surge protection.

rmcqua 14:40 08 Feb 06

It's nothing to do with telephone lines or modem. I would suspect either the front panel on/off switch or its wiring to the front panel connector on the m/b or, if you believe that is OK, it sounds like a m/b problem.

keewaa 14:44 08 Feb 06

There is an electrical noise when I remove and replace the lead in the power socket.

Aparently you can damage the mother board by doing this .... it can lead to varying surges of electricity as you wiggle the lead in and out and thus frying things.

961 17:48 08 Feb 06

If there was no surge protection around the power cut and the computer was connected to the wall plug then this sounds very much like damage to the motherboard caused by the power surge when the power supply was restored. It could also be damage to the front panel as described above

The basic answer is fairly simple testing by a local computer shop I'm afraid

stevied107 22:34 09 Feb 06

What is the best way to check the front panel on/off switch and its wiring to the front panel connector on the m/b

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…