Front panel headphone jack not working.

jake2 22:00 23 Sep 09

I am trying to get the headphones working on my desktop. The pc uses an msi p45 platinum mobo. It also has a Creative soundblaster X-fi soundcard, which the speakers are plugged into.
If I disconnect the speakers and plug the headphones in they work fine. But I get nothing from the front jack.
Could the soundcard be preventing the on board sound set up from working?
Which is better anyway? (Creative X-fi or the onboard sound)
Whats the easiest way to get the headphones working from the front jack plug?

Technotiger 22:12 23 Sep 09

Soundblaster is much better than on-board sound. Your sound card has got three or four Line-out sockets, use one of these for the Headphones?

The front audio sockets are very often not actually connected to the mobo.

Technotiger 22:18 23 Sep 09

Scroll down to see the Connections ...

click here

woodchip 22:55 23 Sep 09

Front connection may not be connected to motherboard, you need to check by taking the side of PC. Also on some, the rear as to be disabled for front to work, this all depends on the motherboard fitted

DieSse 00:04 24 Sep 09

Even if the front panel connections are connected to the motherboard, if you're using a separate sound card, the motherboard sound will have probably been disabled.

As TechnoTiger says - look for another connection on the soundcard you can use.

OR get some USB headphones - my Logitech ones disable loudspeaker sound and enable themselves via software rather than hardware - so you have some control over which you listen to.

DieSse 00:07 24 Sep 09

PS - because of the way in which the Logitech software works, I have the Skype rings come out of the speakers, and the voice out of the USB headphones - all set up in software - as a useful example of the flexibility.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5