Front Panel Audio Connections

Blitzer 17:40 21 Nov 03

Hi,

I've just finished buiding a new computer based around an Asus A7V8X-X motherboard. The case the used was supplied by CCL Computers (Model 9950) but did not come with any info listing what the cables in the case were for and/or how or where they should be connected. This has not proven to be much of a problem as most connections are obvious, however the same cannot be said for the Front Panel Audio connections. Basically I'm having trouble determining what individual lead needs to be plugged on to what pin on the motherboard.

There are two cables from the case that I need to connect to the motherboard in order to make use of the case's front Headphone and Microphone sockets...

Cable 1:

MIC-PWR
MIC-IN
GROUND
RET-R

Cable 2:

R-OUT
L-OUT
RET-L

On the motherbard I have...

MIC2 : AGND
MICPWR : +5VA
Line Out_R---BLINE_OUT_R
NC : no pin>
Line Out_L---BLINE_OUT_L

--- = Connected to each other by a jumper.

Now looking at what I have I would say the connections should be...

MIC-PWR -> MICPWR
MIC-IN -> MIC2 (or +5VA?)
GROUND -> AGND

RET-R -> BLINE_OUT_R ?
R-OUT -> Line Out_R ?
L-OUT -> Line Out_L ?
RET-L -> BLINE_OUT_L ?

Either way you still end up with 2 connections on the motherboard that are not used?

Can anyone offer any advice as to the correct connections? Thanks in advance. :)

Cretin07 17:47 21 Nov 03

HELLO, you built your pc therefore the mobo should have a manual, it'll all be in there. well mine was when i built it 2 weeks ago and it was fine and v easy to install. If there is no manual, post the make of your mobo and do a search on the net.

Cretin07 17:48 21 Nov 03

oops didnt know you had posted the mobo, my mistake, search the net all the same.

Blitzer 17:53 21 Nov 03

Cretin07,

I have the motherboard manual - that's not the problem. The only problem is not knowing exactly what leads these connect to with regards to the case. Basically the leads on the case are labelled differently and I do not have any info with the case to determine what the use of the connections are. Unfortunately, I don't know who actually made the case so I don't know where to start when it comes to looking for info about the case online. :(

Blitzer 21:05 21 Nov 03

<Bump>

Anyone? :(

BarryKeith 22:01 21 Nov 03

The cables fitted to your case are intended to connect to a sound card, you will be able to get the microphone working but there is no power to drive the headphones as there is only a line out connection which is intended to feed the input of an amplifier and will not be capable of driving headphones.
You can connect the microphone, but may find it a better idea to obtain a sound card with the relevant connections on it.

MIC-PWR = +5VA : MIC-IN = MIC2 : GROUND = AGND

Blitzer 22:18 21 Nov 03

Cheers for that. Not worth me continuing with this then. The machine is a xmas pressie for my brother and has onboard sound. Not to worry - thanks for your help. ;-)

A_World_Maker 22:33 21 Nov 03

some mobo's have a mic bias pin, that tells the bios which mic to use.. Mic 1 or Mic 2... that might account for one pin you have left..

Cretin07 22:35 21 Nov 03

good it has onboard sound. well on the manual it should state a set of pins for connecting front ports, like mine has, and then it should tell you which pins connect which wire, like mine does and the wires are all labelled arent they. I dont see a problem you have here.

Cretin07 22:37 21 Nov 03

the labels should not be different o the manual. In fact all front mic and audio labels are the same, or some might have the odd letter at the end but you can still figure it out.

Blitzer 22:58 21 Nov 03

Cretin07,

I did post the labels for both the connections on the motherboard and those on the wires. Unfortunately, these have become jumbled up in my original post. My point was that the labels on the end of the wires do not match those as found on the motherboard otherwise of course I would have been able to work it out.

Lets try again with the labels...

Cable 1:

MIC-PWR
MIC-IN
GROUND
RET-R

Cable 2:

R-OUT
L-OUT
RET-L

On the motherbard I have...

MIC2 : AGND
MICPWR : +5VA
Line Out_R---BLINE_OUT_R
NC : <no pin>
Line Out_L---BLINE_OUT_L

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…