Front page and Free webspace

Eileanbeag 16:58 28 Feb 05

I've got a cooy of Frontpage and wondered if I created a web page would I be able to load it on to my Freespace - I am new to this and am unsure what Frontpage servers are - I understand all websites won't accept Frontpage

LeadingMNMs 18:00 28 Feb 05

I don't really use Frontpage, but if all your doing is creating a static webpage then you can use it to create them. I think the problems come when you start getting into Server Extensions, as I'm certain you're free webspace will not support them.

Taran 18:30 28 Feb 05

Most freely available web space such as that supplied by your ISP will not support FrontPage Server Extensions.

You can still use FrontPage to design your site though. What you do is switch off or disable the Server Extensions for the web you are working on, which allows you to make the site without using any components that require Server Extensions.

You don't say which version of FrontPage you have and this is important since the process to disable Server Extensions in the web is slightly different depending on the version of the program you are using.

FrontPage 2000 can be dealt with as follows:

1. Open your site in FrontPage 2000

2. From the Tools menu, choose Page Options.

3. Click on the Compatibility tab.

4. Remove the check from the box next to Enabled with Microsoft FrontPage Server Extensions.

5. Click the Ok button to save the changes.

To enable the Server Extensions again you do the same but put the tick back into the check box and click on OK.

For FrontPage 2003, do the following:

1. Open your site in FrontPage 2003

2. From the Tools menu, choose Page Options.

3. In the Page Options dialog box, click the Authoring tab.

4. Clear the Browse-time Web Components check box.

5. Click OK to apply the change to your web.

To enable the Extensions once more in FrontPage 2003, do the same in reverse, putting the tick back into the Browse-time Web Components check box, then click on OK.

Note that when you disable Server Extension support in FrontPage any menu items that would require their presence will be greyed out and will not be available for you to select.

You can make your web as normal and even publish it directly from FrontPage although some free web space will disallow direct publishing, so a third party FTP program may still be required.

sloan_5 05:12 01 Mar 05

I have Front Page 2003 and had no problem publishing to Virgin Freespace from the program. Virgin will allow direct publishing, and Front Page has its own FTP engine built in. you just click 'Publish Site' on the File Menu, and away you go. You'll need to know your password with Virgin, tho

Eileanbeag 13:44 01 Mar 05

Many thanks - will now go ahead and experiment.

Thanks for all advice.

monkon2 14:43 15 Mar 05

here is a free host, with no ads, 100mb of space and frontpage extensions as a bonus

click here

only catch is you have to sign up between 6 and 9pm, uk time, on thursdays only, but i got a response in 2 minutes and my website was running within the hour

hope this helps

Eileanbeag 17:36 15 Mar 05

Many thanks - that's a tremendous help.

monkon2 19:28 22 Mar 05

sorry for the vague link, i will get some more info, but i use it with no problems at all.

will post more info soon

again, my apologies

Matt45 22:19 22 Mar 05

Server uptime isn't a bought in service. It's how long the server spends online - the higher the server uptime, the more reliable the server is. 99.2% is quite low for a webhost. My hosting company is up 99.9% of the time. Just clarifying what server uptime is.

Forum Editor 22:36 22 Mar 05

There's some misunderstanding I think. Your description of what server uptime means is quite correct, but that isn't what fourm member meant. He was refering to the fact that this host 'buys in' the server uptime statistical service from a company called SiteUptime. This well-known and respected company provides an uptime stats service for many thousands of web-server operators.

In fact, the host in question has an uptime figure of 99.903% so far this month - very respectable by anyone's standards.

Eileanbeag 12:29 23 Mar 05

Thanks everyone for all your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…