Front mounted USB ports

jessej 11:42 20 Jan 04

Hi, following a lot of advice from both this forum and another I finally went mad and replaced the motherboard. My computer now boasts an ASUS A7V8X-MX board with an Athlon XP2200+ processor. After a PC Chips board with a Via Cyrix III (534MHz) I am overjoyed, its flying along. One question though. There are 4 USB ports on the back, as usual, and 2 extra ones on the board. Could the extra ones be routed to the front of the case, if so, is there such a thing as a replacement plate to hold them that would take the place of one of the blanking plates? On the case there are two large (DVD/CD) size and one small (floppy size) so there is plenty of room should it be possible for this to be done.

smegs 11:47 20 Jan 04

jessej, yes it is possible. I have a Dell with 4 on the back and 2 on the front, BUT I couldn't tell U how to do this. SORRY.

scotty 11:49 20 Jan 04

You could have a look here click here

Aspman 12:13 20 Jan 04

If you have 2x USB risers on the board (sets of 7 or 9 pins (I can't remember)) this will give you 4 extra USB slots.

Any of the kits Scotty has linked to will do the job. The cables are a bit on the fiddly side to fit, they don't often come as one nice plug but umpteen single pin connectors. Easiest for those with small hands.

woodchip 12:32 20 Jan 04

And if you get them in the Wrong order USB will no longer work!!!!!!!! You can blow a onboard fuse that is not replaceable

silliw 13:11 20 Jan 04

Trust also do a front mounted unit that takes the place of a 5 1/2 drive bay and contains 4 usb2 connections. I fitted one for a mate. It has a single plug that will fit one of the 7 pin risers on the motherboard.

1st RHA 13:15 20 Jan 04

these are handy but lack same power as rear ports sometimes as I found with my printer.

sometimes you need to mix and match or use a powered hub

jessej 14:21 20 Jan 04

Many thanks to all who replied, especially scotty, that site shows a lot of possibilities that I had not even begun to think of, not least the noise reduction kits. This computer is a lot noisier than it used to be, most likely down to a new cooling fan. Anyhow, thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…