Front 5¼ Drive Bays?

zemdarin 21:51 13 Jan 05

Does anybody know where you can buy the 5¼ front bays with USB2, Firewire, card readers and headphone and microphone sockets like you see on all new computers nowadays. The only one I have found is in the USA called Koutech systems, but surely UK manufactures buy them somewhere local to include on their computers. I know you can find ones to fit in a PCI slot but that means scrabbling round the back of the computer every time you connect your camcorder or other Firewire or USB2 hardware.

Technotiger 21:58 13 Jan 05

Hi, modern pc cases already have provision for all that you mention. without having to 'scrabble' round the back.

Cheers.

Technotiger 22:05 13 Jan 05

or - you could try click here

zemdarin 22:19 13 Jan 05

Thanks for that information Technotiger. my computer is 3 years old but certainly isn't old to what it contains 1GB memory and 160GB Hard drive it's just I want to update the front to make it easier to connect headphones and firewire hardware. Have you got a specific url to link to as I cannot find it on Maplins site.

vitrocmax 00:18 14 Jan 05

You might find one of these useful, but there's not one that does everything. Work out which you might need. Just because there's a connector on the front panel doesn't mean you'll get the feature, it needs to be connecteds up to something in your PC.

My front panel card reader and USB socket come off headers on the mobo, and so does the headphone/microphone panel.

Totally-braindead 00:27 14 Jan 05

I know what you're looking for click here this is just for the USB on the front, I have seen the one you want bought mine off EBay and it has all you ask for but to be honest with you, apart from the front USB I find the rest of the connectors useless, I haven't used any of them even once in the past year since I got it. By the way this one connects to the motherboard but if you look at scans website you'll find others which connect via cables to the back of the PC which is easier if you're unsure about the connectors, Overclockers.co.uk also did them but can't find it just now on their website. Maybe you'll have better luck.

Totally-braindead 00:38 14 Jan 05

Sorry just reread your post, if you haven't got USB at all then get this one click here and a front connector panel. Or this click here which is what you want but theres no info about how you connect or anything, you'd have to email them about it.

Totally-braindead 00:51 14 Jan 05

click here top one gives you USB and audio but theres no info on how it connects click here heres some that have USB but incorporate card readers, handy if you have a digital camera, again check info on connections before you buy.

zemdarin 11:17 14 Jan 05

Hi Thanks for those urls totally braindead (not really though) The last URL was really helpful as was the Dabs one. Will look again later. I do have 4x1.1 USB ports, two on the front and two at the back. I know how to connect the bay to my mother board, so that wont be a problem, it will just be a lot more convenient. Sorry vitrocmax I couldn't see any links on your post, but thanks for bothering.

jack 11:58 14 Jan 05

I wanted USB2 slots on the front. could not find em.

This is what I did

Got myself a USB2 5 slot [4+1]PCI Card at computer fair for £8
click here are offering USB extender cables for 99p each - got my self a bundle
Hooked existing x4 hub to internal of the USB2 PCI
hooked extenders into rear USB2's 'BluTacked' them to suitable spot on front on top of box -easy peasy

Danoh 12:04 14 Jan 05

I was also looking to update my PC and found some excellent products but their European main stockist is in the Czech republic and did not respond to my enquiries;

click here
Combo selection on left-hand navigation panel

5.25” Bay devices

KW-F7210 All-in-1 Card Reader 2x IEEE1394a / 2+1 USB 2.0 / 2x SATA / Audio Ports

KW-F2208 All-in-1 Card Reader with 3+1 USB 2.0 / Audio Port

KW-F7209 All-in-1 Card Reader with 2 IEEE1394a / 2 USB 2.0/Audio Port

The only UK vendor who seem to have their products are;
click here

But they only seem to have the 3.5” floppy drive space devices.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…