frightening error message!

kimtrnc 05:45 25 Oct 09

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut downto prevent damage to your computer.
If this is the first time you’ve seen this stop error, restart your computer.
Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is idenitfied in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for updates.
Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup options and then select Safe Mode

Technical information:
xxx STOP:0X0000008E (0XC0000005, 0XBD2122BEC, 0XB78370, 0X00000000)

xxxNV4_disp.dll – address BD212bec base at B012000
Date Stamp 49fa9526

Beginning dump of physical memory.
Physical memory dump complete
Contact your system administrator or technical support for further assistance"
I have a small feeling that this error may be related to my NVidia grapics card, but haven't a clue if this is so, and/or how to correct it, please?

mooly 06:59 25 Oct 09

Is this the first time it has done this...
I have seen this( or similar), can't remember now in what context, but I too also use to get an occasional NVidia error (driver stopped responding but recovered etc). I think it was related to that, and it threw up what you see once.

It was nothing to worry over anyway. I since reinstalled Vista... not for that... and use a different graphics driver now.

NVidia errors like that seem very common with no real solution if you do a search.

Mr Mistoffelees 07:25 25 Oct 09

Based on the information in your error report I would suggest you download and install the latest graphics driver from the nVidia website: click here

morddwyd 08:01 25 Oct 09

I get this two or three times a year.

Never seem to be any permanent effects.

kimtrnc 08:03 25 Oct 09

Thankyou, Mister Mistoffelees - I went to Nvidia site - when I entered my graphics card details it crashed the system with the same message.
Being either brave or foolhardy - not sure which -I then let the site search for "correct" driver & it crashed again.
If I uninstall the graphics card, presumably I won't be able to see anything on the screen to correct, will I? So what else can I do?

sharpamat 09:07 25 Oct 09

go into the device manager. find the driver for you card and update it from there

Tony W. 09:58 25 Oct 09

I received the same message after recently updating from nvidia driver 180.18. to 190.17

Reinstalled the old driver and have no problems since.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017