Friends PC Wont Start

belcanto 13:14 22 Oct 06

Hi there, a female freind of mine has got an old pc.It is an Atholon XP 26+cpu, 512 memory, 40gb hd, 32mb agp card, 2x optical drives. It was working a few weeks ago, then she turned it on and nothing happened. She swears that she did nothing wrong, also that there was no flash, bang, whiff of smoke.

Now, when she switches it on, the drives flash, power seems to be going through the m/b, the fans spin, no picture comes onto the monitor however. I have changed the agp card twice to no avail. Pretty sure that the hd is ok, am at wits end as to whether the cpu is fried, the mb kaput pr the psu blown. I hope that someone else out there has got a good idea.

Thanks-belcanto

Totally-braindead 13:26 22 Oct 06

Make sure the case speaker is connected and listed for beeps click here

spuds 14:36 22 Oct 06

You are getting lights and movement, so any psu problems could perhaps be ruled out. Normally if anything as fried, then there should be some form of evidence available.

handy4x 15:23 22 Oct 06

can you check the monitor? or try an altenative one

Diemmess 16:04 22 Oct 06

If the monitor shows absolutely nothing at all, just blank and black it has to be a monitor fault.
If the card had failed and somehow not bleeped, there would at least be the odd flash and a short message saying No Signal or words to that effect.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…