friend's pc wont boot up

vienna1981 15:15 01 Oct 03

hi, a while ago my friend's pc stopped working and it appeared that it was the PSU that had blown (it had blackness on it like something which has blown), i ordered a replacement for him and he installed it, the PSU is working and the lights are staying on for the floppy drive, tower and cd rom drive, and he says the fan is running but nothing is happening when he switches the pc on, he says the screen is blank and the pc doesn't appear to be checking ram, etc, what could be the problem? could something else have been damaged when the PSU blew? Thanks in advance.

Diemmess 15:45 01 Oct 03

Sounds disastrous. As if the death of the PSU has wrecked the motherboard, unsual but not unknown.

Suggest looking for the obvious, like a loose videocard, or IDE ribbon connection to the motherboard. Is the monitor showing any power-on lights, and so on. .... I hope you find something that was missed in the panic.

Djohn 15:52 01 Oct 03

As Diemmess says, it dosen't sound too good and may have damaged the board and other things as well.

Only a couple of weeks back "Graham tick square" was talking about this very thing in a thread of his, and looking for a solution in the form of having "in-line fuses" in all the leads from the PSU. j.

JIM 15:54 01 Oct 03

Take it the PSU is compatible same power or better than the old one.

Try another video card first or try same video card in an other system.

Defective RAM could cause that to happen but not so common. So can motherboard problems / blown capacitors fuses.

Is the CPU processor fan running?

vienna1981 15:56 01 Oct 03

i phoned him and he said the light is on on the monitor and according to him the cpu fan is running

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…