Friends PC sending emails without her knowledge

Graham. 15:00 18 Apr 11

I received an email which contained a link which AVG warned was suspicious. There were 7 other recipients listed. The lady did not send this, so the PC is infected. Which utilities shall I advise her to install and run?

birdface 15:19 18 Apr 11

Malwarebytes free should find anything. She would also need to change her e-mail password as it may have been hacked. Another good one.Download Hitman pro "32-bit or 64-bit depending on your Os" 4. Run Hitman pro ,let this scan the computer 5. Activate Free Licence 6. Reboot Pc

Infection Removed..!

E-mail password will still have to be changed.

johndrew 15:19 18 Apr 11

What AV and anti-malware software has she got installed?

I would suggest a good antivirus (AVG/MSE/Avast/Avira or similar), plus Malwarebytes free version link text, Spyware Terminator link text (again free), Spybot S&D link text (again free). Scan with her antivirus and anti-malware ensuring all have been updated prior to the scan and that System Restore has been turned off ('My Computer/Properties/System Restore' and uncheck the tick box).

It may also be worth considering using an external scan such as Housecall link text.

In the event the problem persists, using a dedicated site site such as Tech Support Forum link text - she will need to join (free) to get more in depth advice.

Graham. 15:30 18 Apr 11

I've asked her to start with Malwarebytes and change her passwords.

johndrew 15:31 18 Apr 11

('My Computer/Properties/System Restore' and uncheck the tick box)

Wrong - should be 'Check' the tick box.

torver 15:40 18 Apr 11

It could also be that her email address has been "spoofed" i.e. the spam senders are using her email address as a front for their own. Her own machine may not be affected but that of someone who has her as a contact (the malware will have taken her email from that contact list). It is always wise to scan constantly for malware and make sure all programmes are up to date though.

Woolwell 15:49 18 Apr 11

torver's suggestion is most likely. Is this a hotmail account? Hotmail accounts seem to be spoofed more regularly than others.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…