Friend's Ext.HD maybe 2nd hand?

buel 19:49 27 Oct 10

Hi, my friend recently bought a Toshiba 1tb external hard drive from a shady looking computer shop. Strangely, it came with a two-pin plug but my friend lost the three-pin adaptor so tried to use a shaver adaptor to test it and he told me it didn't work.
However, i have the same hard drive so i took my power lead into work to test it and it seemed to work fine (light on etc) but then i became ultra-cautious and wondered if my 'normal' power lead (no two-pin plug or adaptor) would be ok to use?
I know this may sound silly but will it be ok to use?

And my second question is- being as i suspect that it is second hand, please can anyone advise me on if there is a way of checking this? (im thinking of maybe using 'Recuva' or something similar?

buel 22:03 27 Oct 10

Hello? Anyone?

Seadog 22:56 27 Oct 10

All electrical items in the UK are supposed to be supplied with a UK 3-Pin plug. That is the law. An adapter to allow the two pin to work in a three pin socket is perfectly acceptable and allowed under UK law.
These are exceptions with imported goods that meet the (Eu) regulations.
Then again there are dodgy dealers who buy from the Far East who sell on kit that has not been approved for use in the UK.

Your friends may be a "grey import" so to speak (not really the correct term here) but if the two drives are the same make and model then your lead should be ok.

If you are that paranoid that the drive is second-hand then ask the dealer, or you could see if there has been anything else on it with a software recovery program but why go to the expense? was the packaging intact? Were the plastic bags torn or opened? Is everything there?

Seadog 23:00 27 Oct 10

Sorry, didn't finish.
If the packaging was opened before your friend got the drive then it could be suspect, maybe it was returned because it was faulty? But the dealer has to sell it because he can't return it.

Any number of reasons.

If it doesn't work with or without the adapter get your friend to return it.

buel 23:26 27 Oct 10

Thanks for all that advice my friend!
Ok, i tried it, it powered up but it wont appear on either my XP laptop or my Vista laptop and there is no driver disc inside the box! Oh dear!

buel 23:31 27 Oct 10

Panic over!! It works! Praise the Lord!! ;o)

BT 08:19 28 Oct 10

I've bought a few items over the past few years that have leads with both 2-pin and 3-pin plugs. Its probably cheaper for manufacturers to put in both than having to package different versions.

You don't necessarily need a driver disc for an external drive. My LaCie didn't have one. The backup software was already loaded in a folder on the drive.

buel 20:11 28 Oct 10

Please can i ask is there anything i can do to the ext. hard drive to prepare it for my friend, such as defragmenting it etc etc?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:39 28 Oct 10

Just format iT

Fat32 if going to be used with anything pre XP otherwise NTFS.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac