the friendiest linux?

timerep 10:44 31 Jan 09

me again, I've been experimenting with linux and get on ok with ubuntu but is there a version out there that's a bit friendlier to use and more like windows to help with the transition ? the laptop in question is old but serviceable a compaq m700 1 gig cpu and 512 ram, struggles with windows xp once the anti virus and spyware is all running on it so looked to linux that maintains that its spyware and virus free. I have looked at anti virus for linux and have tried avast but it will only run in terminal mode and thats complex enough something simpler would be good.

lpen1 12:39 31 Jan 09

I am still very new to ubuntu myself, but you should be able to find most things you need in the add remove applications list. This way you have you can install them without using the terminal. As for anti-virus it really is not as important on a Linux system as it is on a Windows one.

Poitier 13:59 31 Jan 09

I am also new to Linux but I read time and time again from experienced users that anti-virus is not necessary with Linux.Ubuntu also has a firewall built in(iptables)

ol blueeyes 14:30 31 Jan 09

When I tried Linux i sent to click here and bought 5 different ones for £5 which was 9 CD's in all Found it very useful.

LastChip 15:23 31 Jan 09

Don't worry about anti-virus software; it's not needed, but if you really want to use it, use Clamav.

Linux is not Windows and thankfully, never will be, so I'm not sure what you mean about a more Windows like distro. But if you're talking about appearances, Kubuntu, PCLinuxOS, Mepis, Linux Mint and any others that use the KDE desktop, are more Windows like in appearance.

click here for something I wrote quite recently, that may help a little.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…