Friend Wants to upgrade pc

david889 15:06 27 Jul 06

Hi Guys, These Are my friends Computers Specs:

Intel Celeron Cpu 2.66ghz

256mb ram

80gb hard drive

And some onboard graphics card called sis which is only 32mb (shared i think)

I no the celeron isnt realy made for games but what can he do to make his computer play newer games like counter strike source.

thanku

Gongoozler 15:17 27 Jul 06

I don't know much about "counter strike source" or any other games, but a 2.66G Celeron should be good enough for most games. The weak points of the computer are memory, XP is MUCH better with 512M or over, and the onboard graphics which is unlikely to be much good for game playing.

FelixTCat 15:17 27 Jul 06

David,

First, he needs more memory - at least 512Mbyte and preferably 1 Gbyte

Second, he needs a decent graphics card from Ati or nVidia. To play games well, one will cost £100 - £150

Regards,

Felix

david889 15:20 27 Jul 06

ok can u show me some grahics cards that would be good enough.

thanks guys

Gongoozler 15:23 27 Jul 06

david889, to give sensible advice, we really need to know what the motherboard is. If you friend doesn't know what it is, download and run Belarc Advisor click here

david889 15:26 27 Jul 06

ok i think its and msi microstar but i dont know which model. Ill find out and post back later, thanks guys

FelixTCat 15:29 27 Jul 06

David,

I would suggest that you look through some of the reviews on the websites of pcAdvisor and (spit) other computer magazines. There is always a cost/performance balance to be made and you can spend up to £800 on graphics cards if you really want to blow your socks off.

Regards,

Felix

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…