Friend needs help with dial up internet.

oo7juk 09:01 17 Aug 05

Hi there,

My friend has asked me to help him with his PC. He is a complete novice, I'm no expert, but through my own experiences I feel I know my way about a PC know. maybe a level above novice.

Anyway here is his problem.

Since it's a problem with his internet I'm assuming I would have to go to his house rather than me taking his unit to mine to look at.

His initial problem was when he was connecting to the internet it would just crash after a few mins, not the pc just his internet connection. When he contacted his pc supplier they said it was probably a virus. Anyway after further investigation I found out that he had no anti virus or firewall.

He bought his computer from Time - need I say more and it was loaded with Supanet. He was using this ISP becuase he didn't know any better. Since then I've instructed him to get a decent ISP, so he sent off and received the BT dial up disc. He told me last night that he only managed to get to step 5 of 6 with this software, then he phoned me.

If anyone has any advise that may help me help him It would be most appreciated.

Forgot to mention I have supplied him with anti virus software he ran a complete test and nothing was found, thanks.

Jackcoms 09:05 17 Aug 05

"he only managed to get to step 5 of 6 with this software".

And, apart from phoning you, what happened at that point?

ACOLYTE 11:28 17 Aug 05

What is step5? its been a while since i used dial up so i forget,is it where you need to put your details in?.

Technotiger 11:35 17 Aug 05

Hi, just a thought - a point often overlooked when setting up modem - do not connect modem to pc until instructed to do so by the instal set-up.

ACOLYTE 11:37 17 Aug 05

Does that part matter with a Dial up account? i suppose it does if its a USB modem,did he get the correct CD from BT is it dial up or BB?.

Wuggy 12:33 17 Aug 05

As far as I recall most of Time/Tiny PC's came with the modem locked to Supanet ISP and a patch had to be requested from Time to unlock the modem to allow another ISP to be used. This may well be the problem but how to resolve it after Time's demise is a different matter. If all else fails your friend may have to bite the bullet and install another modem to allow using a different ISP like BT. Would also suggest getting some firewall and anti-spyware software installed.

mco 12:59 17 Aug 05

...he doesn't have 'number witheld' does he? I had loads of problems trying to setup dial up for old couple and it turns out their phone doesn't display their number on others' phones -and this affects your dial up connection. Therre's an unlocking key you type in - then you're sorted. Just a thought.

oo7juk 13:08 17 Aug 05

Thanks for the replies, I will hopefully get the chance to look at his PC soon. He has'nt really provided me with much info though.

Will let you know how I get on.

Thank you.

lotvic 22:50 18 Aug 05

"""...he doesn't have 'number witheld' does he?"""

prefix code is 1470 to unlock number witheld

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…