a friend needs help

mohawk32 10:46 15 Dec 08

Hi. I am running a gigabyte ga-ma78gm-s2h motherboard (£60)with a soundblaster elite pro soundcard(£250)
Unfortunatly the card is not sounding too good.
If i were to upgrade to a better board, i was thinking of the abit in9 32x max(£150) would the card sound any better? Do budget motherboards limit the performance of attached hardware?
Many thanks in advance

Technotiger 10:57 15 Dec 08

Nothing wrong with that mobo as regards Audio. Poor sound is more likely to be the result of improper settings or cheap speakers.

Technotiger 11:00 15 Dec 08

PS - try disabling the on-board audio in the BIOS.

mohawk32 15:23 15 Dec 08

Hi. Thanks for the reply. It is very much appreciated. Sorry to bother you any further, do you think if i purchased a higher quality motherboard that would improve the quality of the sound coming from the soundblaster elite pro (or any of my other hardware attachmets for that matter). Or do more expensive motherboards simply offer more functions such as ddr3 support, overclocking facilities etc. I was just wondering if the cheaper motherboards were limiting the functionality of attached hardware.

Many thanks

Stuartli 15:30 15 Dec 08

A sound card, as with any other audio device, is only as good as the signal with which it is fed and the speakers with which it is being used.

I've used modestly priced motherboards with Creative sound cards in the past and the sound quality has been excellent.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…