a friend has a problem with her digital camera

clayton 12:31 27 Dec 03

we have a Panasonic digital camera, works a
treat, until we try to download pics onto computer. Load the software (Joe
even tried through internet) but it can't find com. port or some such thingy. Any ideas? Can camera shops print pics straight or do they
need to go through computer too?

thms 12:44 27 Dec 03

Most cameras are connected by the use of a usb cable. The cable is connected to the back of the computer and the other end to the camera.

The camera is then switched on and should be detected as a removable drive. Check your manual for the correct way to download pictures.

You could of course use a card reader where you remove the card from the camera and insert it into the card reader and download from there.

Camera shops can print photos straight from the card in your camera.

LeadingMNMs 12:45 27 Dec 03

How is it connected to the computer, USB ? Does the camera appear as a removeable drive (in My Computer) when connected to the computer ? If it does, can you open up the drive and find where the pictures are stored ?

tenplus1 12:50 27 Dec 03

Yep, a card reader will assign a few drive letters and all you have to do is open the drive, pop into a directory and your photo's will be there...

From there you can load/edit/save or delete em like a normal drive, and just stick the card back in the camera when finished...

If it's a new camera your friend has though, you should already have this feature in it... New camera's connect to the USB port and SHOULD give you a drive letter to access the photos anyhow...

Stuartli 13:54 27 Dec 03

If you use a card reader make sure that you delete the unwanted pix while the card is in the camera and not your computer.

Otherwise you will need to reformat the card.

The card should normally also be removed from your computer system after it has been shut down.

Diemmess 15:56 27 Dec 03

The error you are seeing suggests that you have a serial connector and that it isn't recognised as plugged into the serial port.

This is the way many cameras used to download, but it is very slow.

Yes a card reader is another way, but be sure that adaptor is right for both the camera's mem. card and the computer end of things.
I have a card reader of that early era which looks like a floppy disk, but has the camera's memory slipped into it before it is placed in drive A: -Software for this comes with the reader.

Sheila-214876 17:05 27 Dec 03

I don't know of any digital camera that works on the serial port. Give us some info on the spec of your computer (processor, memory and operating system) and what memory card your camera takes (compact flash, smartmedia, secure digital etc...)

©®@$? 17:22 27 Dec 03

some cameras work through a serial port

what is the actual model

panasonic what?

also which operating system

i have setup a digital camera through a serial port it was an olympus, didn't need to install the software as windows xp supported the device

connected it to the com port, went to the control panel,scanner and camera wizard and added device windows xp then detected it, and it did the rest to transfer the pictures over..

your camera might be slightly different to setup, but i think it would help us all to help you, if you can give information about the operating system and camera model

anchor 17:34 27 Dec 03

You do not say which model Panasonic camera your friend has, but every current model I see on the Panasonic site is supplied with a USB cable. (An A/V cable is also supplied, but this is for a different purpose). You should use the USB one.

You may need to load the software supplied, or your PC might immediately recognise it as another drive, when the camera is plugged into the USB port. You can then download the pictures from the SD card.

An alternative is a SD card reader, which you just plug into the USB port. These are not expensive; (from £5.99, plus 95p p/p, from sevendayshop).

click here

clayton 10:30 28 Dec 03

just got some more info, the pc is a new dell p4,the camera Panasonic Card Shot NV DCF1 connected via serial cable, they have tried new drives but still get the port error.

hssutton 10:39 28 Dec 03

The NV DCF1 640x840 pixel camera, uses a serial interface, but takes Compactflash, the best way forward would be to buy a cardreader. this without doubt is the best way forward.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…