Friend can't connect to Internet

TommyRed 15:59 08 Jan 05

Just been round to my neighbour's and his PC won't connect to internet, in that it connect through Tiscali and the 2 computers in the systen tray work also e-mail is working but any web page including his homepage just comes up 'page cannot be displayed'. I put Avant on for him as he was using IE, same result, so I installed firefox which worked until I imported his favorites etc from IE. There has been an error message about a problem in his registry so I was gonna clean it with regseeker. Anything else I should do? BTW he's on XP pro. TIA TR

toni b 16:10 08 Jan 05

I had the similar problem about 2 hours ,could not discover the cause of the problem .I used a restore point and this has fixed the problem .I am currently in the process to trying to establish what had caused the problem if i can

recap 16:10 08 Jan 05

click here it may help?

TommyRed 22:35 12 Jan 05

Tried what we could but no joy, he has no disks whatsoever with his PC, a relation gave it to him. Managed to give his registry a good clean but it didn't resolve the problem. A bit more info, he had a virus which AVG healed, but to be on the safe side I scanned his system again after turning 'system restore' off. So we can't go back. He says that this started after he removed Tiscali Accelerator which was a few weeks back, this never worked for him and it also must have changed a few settings as I had to put his old Tiscali number back on for him. Any ideas? TIA TR

Dan the Confused 22:43 12 Jan 05

Could give WinsockFix click here a bash. Winsock entries are stored in the registry.

TommyRed 23:56 12 Jan 05

I'll try it tomorrow, thanks. TR

TommyRed 23:43 14 Jan 05

Ran WinsockFix didn't cure it but messing about with his settings found that 'manual proxy configuration' was checked so unchecked it and instead checked 'Direct connection to the internet' which came up trumps. Thanks for all advice offered. TR

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…