Fried Hard Drive

cyberwaste 23:35 10 Feb 06

The other night i was a victim of many power surges in our street and it blew my surge protector and hard drive (the disk wont spin).I had all my documents, pictures, work files etc on there but have got a new hard drive and got the computer working again, but is there anyway i can recover data from the broken hard drive? Is this procedure costly and what is the price range for this? HD was a Western Digital Caviar 160GB with no warranty left.

Skills 23:47 10 Feb 06

If as you say the drive wont spin up then its beyond software recovery progs and will need to be sent to a company that does data recovery. This is not cheap at all thou i think your talking hundreds easily.

The moral of the story is im affraid always have a backup. An external hard drive is probably the easiest solution and an imaging program such as Acronis True Image.

AndySD 23:47 10 Feb 06

It is costly. But some of the surge protectors will cover this if you still have the surge protector and the sales invoice you should check on the manufacturers web site.

Forum Editor 23:50 10 Feb 06

the chances are good that all your data could be recovered. Be warned however, data-recovery is very expensive - you can count on paying at least £300, and possibly a lot more.

What a good job you had all that data backed up, eh?

Incidentally, most surge protectors come with a guarantee of compensation if they fail as a result of a mains surge; after all, that's what they're designed to protect you against. Have you checked?

cyberwaste 23:54 10 Feb 06

i was a bit naughty and bought a cheapy i think from Wilkinsons. I just bought a Belkin today with lifetime warranty on it just incase it happens again. What if i was to claim on house insurance, would they do the data recovery?

AndySD 00:00 11 Feb 06

Well worth trying.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac