Friday 13th virus?

greybeard 19:44 14 Aug 04

Yesterday was fairly frustrating with the pc (running XP) freezing at about 2 hour intervals ( no obvious consistent reason).

On rebooting, a screen report "..system32\ntosknl.exe missing or corrupt" appeared, but no action was taken. The pc then properly rebooted.
Today no problems ...yet.
Is there something nasty in the woodshed ?

stalion 19:47 14 Aug 04

run a scan just in case click here

greybeard 19:54 14 Aug 04

We have done full system scans with NAV 2004 which produced no results.
By the way, for anyone who thinks I've just updated my os, I'm looking after the grandchildren, and it's the son-in-law and daughter's pc that I am on at the moment which is having the problem, so I am trying to sort out the problem before they return tomorrow.

stalion 20:04 14 Aug 04

try the one I have posted it's free and can pick up things that norton does not.It does not instal so you can delete it if you want after the scan

greybeard 20:16 14 Aug 04

I'll leave the link for daughter to decide tomorrow, as I don't feel that I have the right to download anything without her consent.
Thanks again, as I have some vague memory that there was a friday 13th malware that was mainly a nuisance rather than malicious, only appearing at the appropriate date. Hence today we appear to have no problems, but something may be lurking in the woodwork.

stalion 20:18 14 Aug 04

understand, all the best

greybeard 20:22 14 Aug 04

By the way, I 've seen references to doing av scans in safe mode. Is this potentialy more effective, and if so why ?

Forum Editor 20:24 14 Aug 04

the error message you're getting is usually due to an error in the boot.ini file. I assume you haven't altered any of the partition sizes on the machine?

You can usually fix the error fairly easily if you have the XP installation CD - just copy NTOSKRNL.EXE from the CD into the %systemroot%/system32 directory.

stalion 20:25 14 Aug 04

It is because problems that you may have can hide when the whole system is running.Safe mode only loads the necessary components.Regards

greybeard 21:12 14 Aug 04

FE
Hi FE, thanks for the info, but I "spoke"too soon.
In the middle of typing this reply, the pc crashed. Re-booted, it promptly froze. On re-starting the second time, I chose the "use last known good config" or something like that, and it gave me a blue screen with an error report "... Ntfs.sys Page fault in non-paged area....."
As this was the first time it had apeared, I rebooted with the "normal start up" and all so far is well (has any one got an emoticon for crossed figers?).
Stalion
Thanks. I'll remember that when I'm safely back on my own keyboard etc!

greybeard 21:19 14 Aug 04

No, no change to any partions etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…