FreshDownload help required.

allang 09:39 04 Mar 04

Stuartli pointed me in the direction of FreshDownload which I recently downloaded and installed ok. However, the help seems a little spartan to say the least. I've had a quick Google (and I feel better for it!) but can't find any info on what all the options do. For example, it keeps aking me if I want to set it as my default download method, click yes, then must restart IE6. Then there's loads of options like no. of simultaneous downloads,timeouts,multiple connections etc. Is there an idiots guide out there somewhere or can someone tell me which settings are recommended for XP home,IE6,56k dial-up. Thanx in advance.

Jester2K 09:50 04 Mar 04

I would set

Simultaious Connections to 4 for HTTP and 1 for FTP - this controls how blocks the download is split into

timeouts - leave as it is

Max Sim connections - set to one so it downloads one program at a time.

Under Integration, Uncheck the Check Default Download manager.

Fresh Download has a lot of bugs (esp the 6.70 version) but its the best free one i've found and you soon get used to it.

Jester2K 10:01 04 Mar 04

To be honest it should work ok "out of the box". Have another look through the help file that comes with it (esp the How To Section).

allang 12:37 04 Mar 04

^

Jester2K 12:43 04 Mar 04

Was any of that any good to you?

Stuartli 12:59 04 Mar 04

If you use OE then set it as the default Browser and FD as the default download manager; check Integrate into MS IE plus Replace IE download dialogue

I have the simultaneous connections (HTTP) set for eight (the server decides how many there are!) and FTP for three.

You should also decide where you want files to download (I have a FreshDownload folder on the Desktop), Start downloading after adding to list, to delete file (s) after downloading and Show Open/Run box (you can set how many seconds it will countdown before closing); it also provides two copies if you Open a file (one installing and one in the FD folder, which can be used to burn files to a CD-R in multisession mode if required).

Stuartli 13:03 04 Mar 04

Oh dear!

First par should read (from Options):

If you use OE then set it as the default Browser and FD as the default download manager and check Integrate into MS IE (Method 1) plus Replace IE download dialogue.

Once properly configured FD will automtically appear and perform the download (unless you wish otherwise) and will also resume if the connection goes down or is temporarily broken.

If you right click on a website download link you will get a menu that also includes the means to download a file or files with FD.

Jester2K 13:05 04 Mar 04

"I have the simultaneous connections (HTTP) set for eight (the server decides how many there are!) and FTP for three. "

I'll just add something here - the reason i reduced my connections (even though I'm on 1 Mb Broadband) is because some servers will not allow you to use more than one simultaneous connection. I download a lot of game demos (now common to be 50 Mb+) and servers will refuse / disconnect anyone running a Download Manager (esp on ftp) so i found that 4 for HTTP and 1 for ftp worked well. Sometimes i have to temporarily reduce the HTTP to 1!!

allang 13:21 04 Mar 04

I'm not ignoring any advice, it's just that I'm at work at present and wont be able to put any advice into practice 'till I get home. Thanx again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…