Fresh Install of XP-Do they need Sky internet CD?

buel 20:11 29 Oct 10

Hi,
My brother has just reinstalled XP on his computer but has asked my if i have a Sky broadband CD (as he uses Sky broadband)..i dont. His internet connection is wired. Please can anyone tell me if he does need a Sky broadband CD or is there any other way?

lotvic 20:28 29 Oct 10

If a wired connection, cable to router, then no as all the account settings are already on the router, password etc. so just plug the ethernet cable in from Router to PC.
It is the Router that connects to the Internet (his ISP, Sky) so if nothing has been altered on router the connection is already set up.

buel 22:49 29 Oct 10

Thank you, i will pass the message to him!!

lotvic 22:59 29 Oct 10

Also ask him if he remembered to install the Motherboard and other Drivers after fresh install of XP :)

buel 18:34 31 Oct 10

Hi, i have done a fresh install of XP Pro for him and have installed the motherboard etc drivers. So i can hand him back the PC and so long as he connects it to the internet with the ethernet cable he should be fine? Are there any other steps he should do please? He isn't computer literate...!

GaT7 18:46 31 Oct 10

Once you have the LAN & Internet working (in your other thread click here), also download & install all the Windows updates via click here. G

GaT7 18:53 31 Oct 10

I guess it wouldn't hurt to install a few free useful programs too - i.e. if he cannot do it himself:

Antivirus: AVG / Avast / other click here

PDF reader: Foxit click here

Unzip tool: 7-Zip click here

Photo editor: Paint.Net click here (this will require MS .Net Framework - available via Windows Update)

Media player: VLC click here

G

buel 19:21 31 Oct 10

Thank you, i have installed AVG, Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware, i was just thinking more of the software to connect to his Sky broadband router...!

buel 19:24 31 Oct 10

Ps- where is the download link for 7-zip? I can see the one for the 64 bit but not the 32 bit(well. it seems greyed out)

So Afraid 20:28 31 Oct 10

Crossbow7 above link is the 32bit version.

lotvic 21:25 31 Oct 10

buel you're looking in wrong place, it's the big green button at top right of page

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…