//some 3rd party need geo

fresh install Windows XP

alan227 08:53 16 May 06

Hi Alan i hope you had a nice holiday,
I have a problem with a pc i have installed windows xp it starts up and shutsdown ok but it will not restart
it just stops responding the screen goes black and nothing happens.
The tower stays on with all the fans running.
If you press the reset button it restarts fine.
Hope you can help

Kev

I have just received this e-mail from a friend, he has sent me no specifications for the computer.
Could it be possible he has picked up a virus, or could it be a memory problem.
Any advice appreciated.

Harpur 09:03 16 May 06

to be of any help the members need all the information on the system type, otherwise it would be a stab in the dark and end up in completely the wrong direction.

post back when you more.

alan227 09:14 19 May 06

Harpur, I thought this might give you a laugh.

Just thought I would update you on this problem.
Kevin (who thinks he is Mr Wonderful), Decided to build hiself a computer and after asking me how to go about it and armed with the information from various websites that I gave him, he sets about building it.
2 weeks later he brings it round me to sort out as he could not get it to boot.

To cut a long story short, he is bragging in the pub about how good he is at building computers, and one chap asks him to build one for him.
So of he goes to Maplins to buy all the parts.
Before he got the parts from Maplins he thought he would save time, so he disconnected his master drive on his own computer and installed XP pro on his slave drive (as he intended putting the new drive back in his computer) thinking that he could put it in the new computer, set it to master and away it would go.

As luck would have it his computer and the new computer had the same VIA chipset, so it did boot into windows but with all sorts of errors.

It ended up with me having to sort this mess out, and he has now been able to deliever it to his mate from the pub.

I do not think he will be bragging about building computers to anyone again.

The Spires 09:26 19 May 06

And the problem is?

Harpur 18:57 19 May 06

he's probably feeling pretty sheepish. but then we all had to learn somewhere, somehow. the trick is not boosting about your capabilities too soon. ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…