fresh install with recovery discs

no1ghoul 23:46 18 Sep 03

I have just purchased a new hard drive to install and wondered whether I need the full version of win xp home or if the recovery discs supplied with the computer will do the trick.
Thanks in advance

C.

Bazz2000 00:08 19 Sep 03

A quick word of advice. Win xp is a pain when it comes to changing hardware. I tried to upgrade my mobo but I couldnt get windows to load afterwards. The only disks I had where the restore disks and it wouldnt have it. I had to put the old mobo back in. If you have major problems and dont know what youve done wrong I think you will find its windows. Good luck anyway mate.

Brian-336451 00:22 19 Sep 03

I'm presuming that you have the Upgrade CD - so have I and I installed a new hard drive about a fortnight ago.

Yes, your software may not 'cleanly' allow the installation because mine referred me to Microsoft on an 0800 number when I wanted to (the word escapes me, not register but similar).

I phoned them and said I had just changed the hard drive and they talked my through a long series of digits which 'unlocked' the program.

It was a simple as that. So - you can do a clean install but you will need your previous OS's CD to go in the computer to show you (or someone else for that matter) owned an upgradable OS.

Its really dead simple and there is an enormous amount of horsesh*t bandied about by people that bleat about 'big brother MS etc' when its the simplest process in the world.

Just go for it - it runs sweet as a nut too!

Bazz2000 00:28 19 Sep 03

My winows trestore disks were supplied with the new pc I bought. The shops helpline told me that they wouldnt support an upgrade which they didnt carry out and to put the old one back in. Microsoft say on there website just contact the shop. AQny ideas?

no1ghoul 00:28 19 Sep 03

Thanks guys I feel much more confident of installing it now.

Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…