Fresh Download

Scribbler 15:32 05 Dec 04

I use Fresh Download (from Fresh Devices) as a download manager. It's very efficient. However, I was alarmed that it has been identified in an anti-spyware scan I have run as being "adware". Is this an error? Does anybody have a view?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:39 05 Dec 04

Definately spyware included with all Fresh devices software. I uninstalled my versions.

powerless 15:42 05 Dec 04

Fresh Download does NOT include spyware.

dagwoood 16:00 05 Dec 04

Further to Powerless's post, I have Fresh Download and Fresh U.I. on my system, and both Spybot S&D and AdAware SE have never picked anything up that relates to them.

dagwoood.

Scribbler 16:18 05 Dec 04

It hasn't been picked up by AdWatch, but has been by the new Yahoo Anti-Spy program, which identified 9 elements of adware in it.

Steven W 18:12 05 Dec 04

What 9 elements exactly?

Steven W 18:12 05 Dec 04
  Steven W 18:17 05 Dec 04

click here

but i can't see any more info about whats wrong with Fresh Download other than it is AdWare. Never experienced any problems in 3 years of using FD!

Steven W 18:22 05 Dec 04
  GaT7 00:12 06 Dec 04

I came across this some months ago & was going to post on the PCA forum, but as it's virtually harmless let it go & have continued using it with no adverse effects. As the spynet link above mentions: "Threat risk: Low Risk. Advice: Keep. This is a low risk application and will not cause direct harm to your computer, removing it is not required."

I'd say the main thing to be careful about is the email address you give when you register to receive their codes. With ALL sites, you're not 100% sure of, it's good practice to give a 'disposeable' email address or one you can easily dump should it get spammed or ridden with viruses. G

Scribbler 17:03 07 Dec 04

Thanks to all. Crossbow7, I'll take your advice since the threat seems pretty low risk. Perhaps I'll also uninstall and then re-install under another email address.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…