Frequent Startup issues / lockups

Aaron2512 10:44 24 Dec 09

hiyo, i have been having problems with my pc for some time now. It is effectively 'roll a 6 for this computer to startup and work correctly'.

Half the time, i would be either surfing or using a program and the computer would stop dead, forcing a power off or a reset, then when i turn on again, the fans etc start up but nothing happens, no input signal. so sometimes have to turn computer off/on or reset again, risking damaging computer or whatever, but its the only way for it to get going again. when it eventually starts, it says like how its in safe mode about memory or somthing, press f1 to continue, ok. Windows failed to start, cont normally, never gets past the loading bar thingy, so reset, go into safe mode, system restore, restart, goes into windows start screen, locks up. generally does this until it decides its going to work.
so not 100% sure what to do here, as have wiped HDD on occasion too to try and fix issue.

Graphicool1 13:15 24 Dec 09

"have wiped HDD on occasion too to try and fix issue"

Does this mean you've reformatted the HDD?
Then reinstalled Windows?

ambra4 15:26 24 Dec 09

“Half the time, I would be either surfing or using a program and the computer would stop dead, forcing a power off or a reset, then when I turn on again, the fans etc start up but nothing happens”

It looks like you have a hard drive problem that is slow to start up and would freeze up

during use, but once it start up and load windows it would work for a while, you need to

replace the main hard drive and install this one as a slave where you can still have access

to transfer the data and files

zarobian 15:48 24 Dec 09

When you have successfully started your computer run the scandisk:
1.Click on 'My computer';
2.Right click on 'C' drive and select 'Properties'
3.Select 'Tools;
4.Select check my disk and place tick in both the options presented. Click Ok and restart the computer. Hopefully it will block bad sectors and correct any system errors.
If no success then follow 'ambra4' advise.

Aaron2512 09:35 25 Dec 09

wel it goes into CHKDSK sometimes, and seems to recover orphaned files and such, yet problem still seems to occur, wondering if its a RAM issue, as have tried on several hard drives and problem keeps arising. got Windows XP, 2.4ghz processor and 4G ram. have to make photos/videos of events that happen and mayb take to shop or something i duno. but yea guna try chcking agen see what happens.

zarobian 16:00 25 Dec 09

The auto chkdsk only check files and folders.Manual start ,in addition to the above, gives you option for recovery of bad sectors on the hard disc.

zarobian 16:05 25 Dec 09

On a second thought it could be RAM which you should remove and reseat in their slots. Also try 2 memory strips at a time. Trial and error. Reseat graphic card if fitted. Next left is PSU.

User-312386 16:44 25 Dec 09

I think it is a ram problem, is all the ram identical? Or did you buy the sticks at different time?

woodchip 19:48 25 Dec 09

Try running with one stick of ram at a time, change them till you find the duff stick

Aaron2512 16:45 26 Dec 09

k il try the ram, i just got a new graphics card so i know it aint that, and it cant be the HDDs as i have tried several new ones and get same issues. will moan if i find anyhing else out tyvm.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…