French Keyboard

Bald Eagle 21:15 02 May 03

Whilst in France is it possible to alter the laguage my keyboard types in? ie to French. Running 98SE.

Ironman556 21:18 02 May 03

Go to control panel, then keyboard. Should be able to change the settings there.

DieSse 21:23 02 May 03

It will pay you to get a French keyboard, tho'. The layout is somewhat different AZERTY.. an' all that.

rev.bem 23:36 02 May 03

GetA French one here

click here

Scroll down to the bottom.

ABBY12 07:51 03 May 03

I write in French occasionally and I wanted to be able to change from one keyboard to another easily i.e. from English to French and back, so here's my solution.

It's
1 Change the language as Ironman556 says.

2 Tape a piece of see through plastic to your keyboard (I cut up an A4 file pocket)

3 Find out the new values of your keys, some will be the same.

4 write the new letters / numbers etc in the appropriate position on the plastic overlay with an indelible felt tip pen

5 Trim the plastic sheet as appropriate

6 As you change language flip the sheet

Of course if you are going to write in french all the time , a new keyboard would be the answer.

-pops- 11:47 03 May 03

When I worked in France, I found a French keyboard layout almost impossible to use after being familiar with a UK one. The company I worked for bought an English keyboard just for me.

So, unless you are prepared to familiarise yourself with the difference and use it on a regular basis, it may be best to keep to the layout you know. If you are typing in the French language, it is easy to become accustomed to the shortcuts to accented letters either from the keyboard or from the ASCI code.

Brian

Bald Eagle 20:33 03 May 03

Sorry about delay in reply but busy painting new French house. Have now got French up and running but what a keyboard! Did not know QWERTY wasn't standard. Thanks all. Off to buy a French keyboard. rev.bem thanks for the link.
Ray

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…