Freezing screen/computer

papaa 17:18 12 Feb 05

Running XP Home, screen/computer froze at odd intervals during use requiring re-booting, ran AVG for virus's, found nothing, ran AdawareSE for malawares and removed them. This made no difference. Decided to bite the bullet and reinstall XP from disk. The freezing happened at varying intervals during the reinstall and continues. Any suggestions as to a cause/reason for this will be gratefully received. I have cleared all dust from inside to remove overheating as a possibility.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:46 12 Feb 05

There are many causes of freezing.

1. memory faulty

2. driver problems

3. software conflicts

4. overheating

4. virus

5. spyware

Just type freezing into the search box on the left there are lots of threads on the subject.

Most likely cause is grahics drivers get the latest for your card. delete roxio burning sofware this is another common cause.

Technotiger 17:49 12 Feb 05

Hi, intermittent/random freezes is very often the result of a loose connection or connections inside or sometimes outside of your pc. I would suggest a thorough check of all connections, including even removing/replacing pci boards and ide cables - especially the graphics card and mem chips. Sounds a lot I know, but really worth doing. Especially if it solves the problem - it did, on my pc some time ago.

Cheers and good luck.

papaa 01:22 14 Feb 05

Thanks for the suggestions, tried them and when checking connections found graphics card fan seized and full of dust. Cleaned it all out, fan running freely again but still freezes and only keeps going in "Safe mode".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…