Freezing screen

Dick W 18:54 02 Feb 05

I am finding that my computer (Athlon 1000 - 512 ram)is freezing after about 15 mins of use. Have run ad-aware and spybot and no nasties i.d. Tried to run a full Viruscan check but it locks up right at the end - all anti virus software is up to date however. Have just installed Roxio Creator 7 - could this be causing the problem?
Any ideas please how to stop the freezing?
(This also occurs when I am trying to burn a DVD)
Thank you

bremner 19:07 02 Feb 05

After the freeze up can you immediately reboot and the machine start OK?

Technotiger 19:27 02 Feb 05

Hi, assuming you have XP - for some reasom XP does not seem to like Roxio V7, though I believe ok with earlier versions ie V6. Don't ask me why - I think V7 can be made to work but apparently needs a lot of trial and error. I think a possible solution is to use Nero instead.
This is not from personal experience, just from what I have read here and there.

Cheers.

Dick W 19:58 02 Feb 05

The computer needs to be switched off and rebooted to continue

I'll try taking off Roxio and see if that helps

Thanks

Bandy 20:18 02 Feb 05

I had a similar problem recently after I'd downloaded a hardware update for my graphics card from the Microsoft update site.

My ATI 7200 VIVO card decided that it didn't like it and the screen started freezing.

Replaced the drivers with the old ones and life is now much better,

So it may be worth checking the graphics drivers

keith-236785 20:47 02 Feb 05

im tempted to agree with Bandy, also have a freezing screen occasionaly but i installed the latest Nvidia drivers and dont seem to have the freezing up anymore, i did find that by hitting CTRL+ALT+DEL and waiting for about 10 seconds it would recover itself, close the task manager window and i was able to carry on.

might be worth a try, i also reduced my refresh rate to 60 from 75 Hertz, i think 75 was too quick for a TFT (or at least my PCWorld TFT).

now i dont have the freezing any more so one of them must have solved it.

another thread also mentions that hard drives can cause freezing up. something worth thinking about.

good luck

Dick W 21:01 02 Feb 05

Many thanks everyone - took out Roxio and redid my graphics card
Bingo - all working fine (for the moment!)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…