Freezing right click and start menu-

Stressed Mum 18:42 25 Sep 07

Just when I thought I’d got away with it! My kids PC is now playing up!! They have just got a new printer which installed without problems Lexmark x5400 series. I then tried to uninstall the old series also Lexmark 2400. I was unable to completely remove from Add and Remove as there was an error ‘BuildTemplateErrorMessage’. Contact Lexmark who suggested reinstalling software for 2400 again but don’t have disc so tried to download but unable to access that page as error 403! Disabled firewall and AVG but still no access. Decided not to bother – just leave it alone. Then installed Incredimail for the kids – 3 users. Have now got problems with freezing on right click/start menu. Freezes window over window over window! Ran ShellExView and disabled/enables on at a time the Context Menu items – but now (!!) when starting up get a black page (like in safe mode) telling me that it did not shut down properly and therefore did not start up properly – and have to select start windows now by keyboard. I do this and still have slow right click and freezing. Restored back to 4 days ago – which brought up the original hardware probmems there – so undi last restore. So …. ???? Weird Start up, Freezing right click and start menu window over window freezing. Doh! What next – please help if you can. Thanks. SM

STREETWORK 20:40 25 Sep 07

This really looks like something is trying to start up when you reboot and not being able to.

1. click start, run and type msconfig
2. in the window that opens slect the start up tab. here you will see all the programs which start up when you boot windows.
3. remove the tick from boxes you know that you will not need when you start the PC. If you are not sure what they do leave them or google it to find out.
4. click apply and close the window, windows will prompt for a reboot to make the changes.

When windows reboots try and see if the problem persists. if it does not then you will know that there was a problem loading software at start up. the trick now is to find out what was causing the problem. I would normally reinstall any software which I prevented from starting up, or if not required remove it.

Post back...

Stressed Mum 13:29 26 Sep 07

Hi STREETWORK

Thanks for that… I have this morning, after weird start up again; run msconfig and unticked everything apart from Incredimail and AVG. Switched off rather than reboot and still got the weird start up. This time I selected ‘Last know good configuration that you know about’ . Windows started to load – took 35 seconds and another 10 for Incredimail to start. Selected all programs and right clicked which took just a second to open but when I selected the option from there (eg Send to…) it hung around for about 15 seconds. So I guess this is a bit quicker. I shut down and started up again. This time the black screen came up again and I chose Start Windows in the Normal way. Still took 35 seconds + 10 to load incredimail. So… I think there is an improvement.. but still very slow and of course still have this @we re sorry for the inconvenience but windows did not start correctly – please use your arrow keys to select how you would like to start windows..’ Would really like to know how to get rid of that.. SM

bof:) 13:42 26 Sep 07

Hi Stressed Mum

also try running Ccleaner to clear out your registery.

click here

I always backup my registry before I use Ccleaner going start/run...type in regedit/click ok/ file/export and save file into my documents/ I usually nane the file as regfile (then date).

Mike

bof:) 13:52 26 Sep 07

also try booting up after unplugging any peripheral items such as printer/scanners etc.

Stressed Mum 13:53 26 Sep 07

bof:) do you mean switch off my printer (this is new and probably a problem!) Then start up ?

Stressed Mum 13:54 26 Sep 07

Have run Ccleaner already - worth another try?

Stressed Mum 14:09 26 Sep 07

bof:) Have unplugged printer/scanner, shut down, restarted with it unplugged - absolutely no difference at all.... Not too worried about slow right click etc - just want to get this start up screen cleared and back to normal opening with the usual Dell logo coming up for 2 secs followed by the Windows XP loading. It is being suggested that is has not started up because of some problem - would be better to tell us what problem!!

Stressed Mum 14:31 26 Sep 07

Right - off for a while - just ran Ccleaner again. Going to shut down and hopefully get back to you later. Thanks.

Stressed Mum 18:14 26 Sep 07

Boot up still mad - still having to select sart windows in normal mode. Every choice of left or right click stalls... don't forget me please.... thanks. SM

brundle 18:43 26 Sep 07

Have you got your XP CDs yet? Two things to try (first one doesn't require your CD) - create a new user in Control Panel/Users and see if you get the same behaviour when you log in to that account. If not, transfer everything across from the problematic one(s). Second thing is the in-place repair (for which you will need the CD) ; click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now