Freezing problem ..... Again !!!

hogan8 10:47 02 Nov 09

I have had a problem for weeks with my laptop, when surfing between and within websites and the individual menu's my machine freezes. I had lots of advice to do with outdated graphic drivers etc and to be true mine are out of date but here is a strange event. My connection to my own router failed and I was unable to get back on, my neighbour in the next condo has an unsecured connection on his router so we tried to connect to his - successfully. Now when connection to his router I do not get the problem in freezing which I could only previously rectify by logoff/logon with frustrating regularity, yet, when I connect again to my own connection the problem returns.
I would welcome some explanation for this so I can possibly make whatever changes I need to my router settings.

mgmcc 13:40 02 Nov 09

What happens if you disable the security (WEP/WPA) in your own router's settings? That would at least confirm if it is the security which causes the problem.

hogan8 15:05 02 Nov 09

Tks for response.
Clicking out WEP and into Disable cuts the connection

hogan8 23:52 02 Nov 09

I should have been clearer, unticking WEP and ticking disabling takes me into my neighbours unsecured connection.

mgmcc 11:28 03 Nov 09

>>> Clicking out WEP and into Disable cuts the connection

Yes it will. This is why it is essential to connect by ethernet cable, *NOT* wirelessly, when making changes to the router's wireless settings.

After disabling WEP you would need to delete the existing wireless "profile" as that is based on having WEP enabled. click here

>>> unticking WEP and ticking disabling takes me into my neighbours unsecured connection.

You could only connect to your neighbour's network if you had previously connected to it and a "profile" saved. Otherwise, you'd need to scan for "Available Wireless Networks", select the network and click the button to "Connect".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…