Freezing PC

geedad 08:56 AM 17 Jun 11

HP Pavilion series P6000. Intel i5, Windows Home Premium. My PC froze completely last night, and I resorted to switching the PC off manually, which I don't like doing, but this IS the first time with this PC since purchase last November. I switched it back on, and because it was not a "natural" shut down, had to start the PC from the Safe Mode ( Windows normal start). All was OK, and there did not seen to be any problem at all. However, when I had finished with the PC that evening, and after going to "Shut Down", I was confronted with "Do not switch off your PC, 13 updates are being installed". Obviously, I let those install, but I wonder if that was the original problem with a frozen PC (the updates trying to install?). Anyone with similar experience? Thanks geedad

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:37 AM 17 Jun 11

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans (unlikely as pretty new)

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

geedad 14:40 PM 17 Jun 11

Thanks, Fruit Bat /\0/\, Very useful info, as always! geedad

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Pro 4 review: Hands-on with the new generation of Surface

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Crowdfunding for world’s first 3D camera-computer found in 30 hours

2015 iMac release date rumours, specs, price & features: new 21in 4K Retina iMacs coming next week