freezing pc

djdj693 20:04 17 Feb 05

i run windows xp home and use macafee virus 8.
my messenger on bottom taskbar doesnt work and when i connect to my hotmail through internet explorer after 5 or 6 clicks of mouse the computer freezes. i caanot connect to my inbox through the messenger panel also. Have done virus scan and it says its clear. Finally when i shut down there is a box mentioning iexplore.exe and that has to be shut down. Help would ease the frustration of using task manager all the time.

JonnyTub 20:07 17 Feb 05

Uninstall and re-install internet explorer

woodchip 20:12 17 Feb 05
  keith-236785 20:14 17 Feb 05

when your pc freezes, press CTRL+ALT+DEL and wait for upto 30 seconds until the task manager box appears, then you should regain the use of the mouse, if this continues then i would suggest it is either a heat issue (though why IE should do this i dont know)

or it might be the graphic card drivers/settings that need upgrading.

you could try running system file checker (does what it says, checks and replaces any missing/corrupt system files), if you run this and it just finishes without any prompting, then that is normal on a system without errors.

start/run and type

sfc /scannow

note the space, you will need the winxp disc in the drive for sfc to run.

if you feel it might be an overheating issue, download & install speedfan

click here and click on SpeedFan 4.20 in the download section.

this will tell you the temps of your cpu/system/hard drive etc.

djdj693 15:54 18 Feb 05

haven't got windows disc only recovery disc.
how do you un/install i.e.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:10 18 Feb 05

Sfc should scan the files in your recovery partion without using a CD.

Control panel - system -hardware - device manager- highlight the device right click uninstall.

Action scan for hardware changes - Xp will refind device and reinstall drivers. you may need driver disk if came with graphics card.

djdj693 23:04 18 Feb 05

thanks for all your help
sorted!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…