Freezing on logon screen.

fuzzyone 20:49 13 Feb 05

hi all,

strange problem this one, system is as follows Athlon 2800xp, msi K7N2 mobo, 2 x 256Mb Corsair ram in dual channel mode, Maxtor 160Gb IDE H/D, Msi dvd recorder & msi cd recorder, soundblaster audigy card, and Motorola sb4100 cable modem.

My problem began shortly after installing the latest microsoft critical updates last week, when, after rebooting my pc to finish the installation, it froze on the logon screen. I manually reset the pc, and after it ran the chkdsk, booted up as normal.

Next day, there were no problems whatsoever, and have had none since, until today, when the same problem has re-appeared.

Shutting down and reststarting the pc causes no problems, but when restarting from windows, it continues to freeze on the logon screen.

I run Avg, zonealarm, adaware, spybot, and spywareblaster, all of which are checked for updates daily, and full scans, ran twice weekly.

One thing that has caught my attention, is that my cable modem activity light is on full, even before the logon screen appears.

One other thing, is that, when I reboot from windows ( XP Pro ), there is not the expected one bleep from the system speaker, but only what I can best describe, as 2 small squeaks.

Anyone have any experience, or any inkling of what may be causing this.?

Thanks in anticipation.

fuzzyone 21:14 13 Feb 05

fuzzyone 17:32 14 Feb 05

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…